How to explain to a 7 yr old why people hate?

Had the cub scout talk with ds today. I explained to him what the scouts believed and what their rules are, and he immediately said he didn't like that. We're looking into more accepting alternatives, though I'm not very optomistic around here. His next question...why do people join groups that don't like everyone? And how do you answer that?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Cub scout talk????
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• who do cub scouts hate?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Wow, I know you and I rarely agree, but on this one, I'm with you 100%. I will NOT let my son join the cub scouts, exactly because of their policies. As for an answer, I don't know... I would just tell him some people are just plain ignorant.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• yea, just who is it that they "hate?"
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They hate gay people... Or rather, they don't allow them in their organization, which pretty much means the exact same thing to me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That's it? How would they even know? Don's ask Don't tell...
    Anonymous

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You have to deal with that anywhere. Both of my son's are in scouts, they love it. They learn alot of good stuff from there. To me it's one of those things you have to weigh the good and the bad. The military still doesn't want gays. If he wanted to join the military would you be against it. Come on.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thanks MK, but still no active tribes in IN. I wish I had time to look into a charter here, but I'm already stretched w/ school and work.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The military doesn't prevent your gay relatives from supporting you. It's not remotely the same.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010