Rocking/Head banging?

My son is 8 1/2 months old. In the past week or two he has started rocking a tiny bit and sometimes hitting his head on things, like the back of the car seat, my chest (if I am holding him), or whatever. He does not do it when he is upset. He just does it. Is this normal? Someone has said to watch it because it can be a sign of autism. Any ideas?
Thank you.

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 9:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son does that when he wakes up from a nap. Sometimes he does this thing that looks like shaking and I was freaking out. I thought he was having seizures or something. lol My son isn't autistic and does that sometimes. I'd say it's just a phase. BTW our babies are the same age if that makes you feel any better.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• lol I did that a lot as a kid and still do sometimes. I don't know why. I don't know much about autism but I know I'm not autistic. I'm just antsy and it was just something to do...like a way to move around without going anywhere lol. Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

• it's normal. i freaked out when my son did that, but then i asked on here and everyone told me not to worry. it could be that he's teething and banging his head to take his mind off the pain...or it could be something else. but it's normal. my son kinda just grew out of it.
    Anonymous