Do you home school your preschooler?

My daughters 5th birthday was in October, a month after the cutoff for kindergarten. We looked around at all the local preschools but they were all very expensive (too expensive)! We make too much money for the head start program and even if we paid for the expensive preschools they all seemed to me to be nothing more that glorified day cares which as someone who works from home, is not what I need. I decided to go to the teacher supply store and pick up some stuff for me to teach her myself. It has been a little rocky getting a good routine worked out but I think I am getting the hang of it and she is getting a lot out of it. My question is, does anyone else use this method and what ideas or suggestions do you have for me and any kindergartner teachers out there could give me a heads up on what she needs to know by next year when she starts? Thanks :)

Bribry

Asked by Bribry at 4:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I did not do any kinda of schooling wtih my daughter for prek but we are doing an online homeschool for Kindergarten and not doing prek hasnt affected her learning at all. It was all basic review the first few months of school and she is ahead on most subjects. I wouldnt worry about prek honestly. They expect kids going into K to not know anything because every 5 year old is different and at a different level of education when they get to school.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 4:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I consider myself homeschooling even though my kids are 3 and 2. I plan to homeschool anyways so I just started when I thought they were ready. I don't really do much "school" with my 2 year old as he doesn't really understand to much...coloring pages...playdough...puzzles. My 3 year old...she really loves "school"! We sit down every day for about 2 hours with her bookbag and school supplies. I bought some workbooks at different stores (walmart, target....ebay homeschool pre-k workbooks) and we just do different pages every day. Cutting and pasting, letters, numbers, coloring, painting, crafts, practicing shapes. Most of the time she asks to do more when we are done. Some days she isn't in the mood to sit there and do much so I don't push her with it. Recently I have been trying to teach her how to play different games...like the memory game, checkers, or candy land. Just make it fun! :-)
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son is in the same spot as your daughter! He turned 5 the day after the kinder cut off and they refused to allow him to be tested. (which is ok cause he wasnt ready at the time) Since then I bought him some workbooks and have been working with him. Not that he is bored at home and with the workbooks I was looking for preschools but Im told he cant attend cause he is 5 and should be in kinder.
    He knows all abc's big and little, can count to 100, knows all colors and shapes and is doing adding and subtracting. Teachers are going to have one very active bored lil boy on their hands next year, and Im going to say well you can blame the screeners cause they wouldnt allow him to come in and test for kinder!
    momto_3

Answer by momto_3 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, it's not really homeschooling unless they legally have to be in school. Before that, it's just good parenting. For kindergarten though, there are about 20 sight words they need to know. They need to be able to identify and write their first and last names, the capital and lower case letters, numbers through 100, basic shapes, and basic colors. These are all things you can teach without any special props or supplies.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010