any good ideas for fun games to play at a children's bday party..age 5-6?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is there a theme for the party? My daughter had a pirate theme for her party this year and I took a bunch of games and turned them pirate for the party. Insted of musical chairs we had musical islands where I cut out cardboard islands painted all different colors. We did pin the x on the deserted island. The kids really loved hot crab which was just hot potato but played with a stuffed toy crab. We did a treasure hunt and also a version of freeze dance but instead the kids had to pretend they were on a ship in the ocean in a storm and the storm was tossing them around the ship and when the music stopped they had to freeze in whatever position they where in and if they laughed fell or moved they were out. For every game the winners won two gold pirate coins and everyone who played got one. After all the games were finished the person with the most coins got to pick from the pirates booty the prize of their choice!
    Bribry

Answer by Bribry at 4:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I also made CD's of all the pirate music I played at the party and let all the kids take one with them along with eye patches, hoop earrings and pirate hats. The kids seemed to have fun and the parents all told me how great the party ideas where so I think it went well :D (it was my daughters 5th birthday by the way!)
    Bribry

Answer by Bribry at 4:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You could do a treasure hunt, maybe since the holidays are close a craft they could take home to remember the party. Bingo, muscial chairs, bean bag toss, pinata, Also can check out family fun magazine web site which it cool and I get the magazine and they have lots of party ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• we usually do a pin the tail on the donkey, but modified to match the theme.
    we have done pin the lightsaber on darth vader and the kids decorated their own paper lightsabers to use for the game.
    at that age i think it is nice to start with coloring pages while they are waiting for everone to arrive. i then use their coloring pages as chairs for musical chairs. scavenger hunts are fun.
    is this an indoor or outdoor party? is there room to run?
    is there room for a pinata?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• a pirate theme sounds fun..i think my son would enjoy a treasure hunt. I havent chose a theme yet. He told me he wants a surprise party...i'm trying to think of what to do and what to put on the invitations to make the parents want to bring the kids...i don't know any of the parents yet ..this is his first year in school so i'm hoping kids will even come!!
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Musical chairs, pin the tail on teh donkey, treasure hunt.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i did some games at my son's 5th bday this year - some were successful and some failed! the musical chairs game didnt work because some of the kids got so upset when they were "out" we even said they werent out - they were the music helper and got to control the cd player when it was their turn out... but it was bad... we also did a pin thebelt on batman game - successful! and we did a scavenger hunt - the kids had to read the clues, find the next note, then at the end, i put all their gift bags. but the issue was this. i had to make the last clue lead them to somewhere they woudlnt have seen the bags sitting out. so i made it the powder room - unfortunately dh's aunt was trying to use the bathroom randomly - she didnt listen when i warned the adults not to use the downstairs bathroom for 10 minutes. she doesnt listen. and had about 10 kids bust in on her when she was peeing - i cannot believe she could see the gift
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• (cont.) bags hidden in the bathroom and didnt put the 2and 2 together and figure out what was going on... kinda serves her right. she wasnt mad. the kids loved that one the most becaue everyone won.
    AmaliaD

• We did a craft project for my daughter's 6th birthday party. They also played pin the tail on the donkey, and we had a bouncy house out front. Mostly, they just liked to run around and play.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010