I just became a grandmother for the fist time. My son and his family are in VA. we are in M.I. I to vist for 10 days after the baby was born I thought it was a good vist over all a little trying at times it might have been to long a time to be there. My son has been out to sea for over a month he serves in the Navy. The problem i'm having is when I call his wife about the baby she will not respond to my calls of E-mails it has been over a month since I visted. I apprieciate any advice you have.

harley351

Asked by harley351 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Give her time. I think you did nothing wrong with your visit but having a new baby can be stressful. She might feel she has to do things on her own with her husband as sea. Just do not give up. Let her know you are there and I am sure one day she will come back to you. I hope all turns out okay for you. congs. on the baby.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When my husband and I had our 1st baby, his mom,sis and bil all planned to come down 2 wks after I had the baby. After I had the baby they decided to come now. I asked my husband to call them back and to ask them to please stick to the original plan, so we could have some time to get to know our 1st baby. I was trying to breast feed, our place was very small, comfortable for us but not 3 extra people. Well they said no, got all mad and came anyway right then and stayed in our place for a week. It took a special time for us and made it into a circus. I still get irritated just thinking about it. I didn't talk to them for a little while, but I loved them so I let it go.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If this is her first kid then she may still be adjusting. :) Even if she has other children she is still adjusting to being a new mom and doing it all alone. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with momindiana. If you think back to when you had your children, it was not easy. I have an 8 week old in the house, and there are times when I don't answer the phone, and I have gone months with out checking my email. She could probably be tired and just needing to relax. My MIL even went to so far to call my parents for the 411. When I found out what she was doing to check on us, I made sure I sent an email with pictures at least once a week. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• After my son was born I was stressed with the worries of being a new mother and wondering if I was doing things right, trying to get sleep, trying to get the baby to sleep and barely ever seeing my husband (he works long hours and it gone more than 1/2 the time) I felt like a single mom and I was hormonal and didn't have time to talk on the phone. My family called and MIL called and I rarely called anyone back. I didn't return my MIL's calls because she is one of those people who will not let you get off the phone and when I had any spare time I either wanted to sleep, eat, or shower. To be honest it was like this for about the first 5 months. Anyway, my MIL brought this up later and made a HUGE deal out of how I was mad at her and she did nothing wrong and made herself out to be a victim and it did cause big problems when the truth was that I was just adjusting to motherhood.
    I would just let things go for now.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Hmm that is very strange I would have to start asking WHY? To her along with your unanswered questions.
    It could be anything maybe things got cut off, maybe she does not speak english (idk) maybe she just doesn't want to be bothered.
    On your next attempt to get a hold of her let her know you plan on coming to visit again bc you are not getting any response just to have a piece of mind I bet she'll pick up then or answer your emails. GL I pray all is just fine.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010