What classes do you have to take to be a Midwife?

I want to maybe become a midwife, What classes should I take? What is it like being a midwife? Whats the bad and good?

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• First you have to be a nurse. Than there is additional training you have to go through.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Midwife association: http://mana.org/definitions.html

you should find your answers here. :) Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You don't always have to start off as a nurse, it depends on the type of midwife you become. A CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) is a midwife with a master's degree in nursing and midwifery. Those are legal in every state. Here is a website that's really great if you're seriously interested.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I read "Paths to Becoming a Midwife." I'm sure there are websites that explain the same thing, but I enjoyed the book just the same.

Basically you can become an RN and then a CNM, or you can become a certified professional midwife who learns through working with experienced midwife(wives). Both are rigorous.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There are two types: a lay midwife (not legal in all states) and a nurse/midwife. A nurse/midwife has a masters degree. The training for lay midwives varies widely.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010