I really want to learn how to cook for my hubby but my mom doesnt have patience to teach me. I have bought books but it doesnt always work. Anyone know what other ways I can learn?

I had seen a page here with a lot of recipes but I can not find it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I didn't know how to cook when I got married, but Allrecipes.com has been my lifesaver! I can follow directions well, so I look for recipes that have good reviews and give them a whirl. People think I have been cooking for years! :)
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Look for some cooking classes at the local communtiy college or community center. Some are only one night each and not very expensive.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• For recipes you can try www.foodnetwork.com, www.recipezaar.com, www.food.com
    If you want "lessons" and can afford $25 a month, check out www.topchefuniversity.com

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Buy a good cookbook such as The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook because there are instructions, tables of weights and measures, hints about basic cooking and equipemt you need for your kitchen. It is easy to cook if you have a good cookbook.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Do you know the "basics"? Do you know how to boil water, fry things, saute? Do you know basic measurements and what the differences are in things like cups/ ounces? If so, you should be able to pick up most cookbooks and get going.
    If not, can you look for a local class, something in an adult ed situation or something like that? I'd show you stuff if you lived close by!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Watch maybe the food channel. I just use the betty crocker book but I got in 1987 for graudating gift and I just turned 42 and still have and use the book. Try the computer and just type in your item you want to make. I have found several new dessert recipes on the computer. Try the library or even maybe check out a home ec. class with the high school near you might give you ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• you can watch the cooking shows on tv. That way you can see how it's done. and then find recipes and go from there.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Food Network
    Cooking classes at community college or park & rec.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Watch the food channel and check out the videos on cooking sites. Join a cooking group here on CafeMom. I agree with 5BabyBees, Cooking 101 is great.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• a cooking class at a com. college would be fun, or a summer school course, asking around does't hurt either, ask for recipes, and the old saying, "practice, practice, practice" and learn from your mistakes...
    peewee76

Answer by peewee76 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010