Will you be OK with freezing basic military pay to control the deficit?

A presidential commission on reducing the deficit has recommended freezing basic military pay and housing allowances for three years starting in 2011, according to a draft report of the commission’s recommendations posted online Wednesday.

“A three-year freeze at 2011 levels for these compensation categories would save the federal government $7.6 billion in compensation and tax expenditures, as well as another $1.6 billion in less retirement accrual, or $9.2 billion total discretionary savings in 2015,” it said.

The move would not affect combat pay, the report said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's appalling to hear the many stories here on CM where military is on public assistance. WTF. They should get cost of living at least.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I want to see all those in Washington take a pay cut first. It's not like the military are paid enough as it is.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i am a military wife and no i would not be ok with that. we make it right now with no assistance, but just because they freeze our pay wouldnt mean the cost of everything would stay the same, and if the cost got out of control we would have to go on assistance along with a bunch of other people, so why not just give us our little raise.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with anon. Military pay is not an area that should be one of the first cuts - they are doing service for the country and deserve the meager pay they get! I also am not military or from a military family.

Answer by missanc at 4:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Hell no. Our troops get paid like shit.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They also want to raise our medical rates according to an ArmyTimes article. Military's always the first one to get hit when they want to save money but they always go about it the wrong ways.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 5:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No I am not. I am not okay with a majority of those "flashpoints". That being one of them. Why not these lawmakers freeze their 6 figure salaries and lucrative benefits? Why hurt those who don't make a lot of money? What a senator makes in a year, my husband makes in 4 years. It's bullshit.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Hell no. They are seriously underpaid as it is IMO. We aren't military anymore, dh is prior army. He got out in 2001 as an E5. We had 1 child at the time and still qualified for WIC. I think that is sad they are paid so little for what they do.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• NO!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• NO, hubby isn't military and neither am I, but I know how crappy the military get paid for their services.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010