Does anyone have a child that goes into rages and they are only 4?

We have a 4 yr old son that sometimes goes into rages or fits while he is at daycare. We have tried everything as far as discipline is concerned at home and really need guidance.

momof2boys35

Asked by momof2boys35 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes -- my son is exactly the same way. He's six now, and has been diagnosed as ADHD, which is well controlled with medication (Concerta), and ODD, which there are behavioral interventions for. We recently started him on Tenex, which is an anti-hypertensive drug, to control the rages, so far it's been working well. Otherwise he flies off the handle several times a week at school and has already gotten detention twice -- and he's in first grade!
    Our son was evaluated/diagnosed at around 4 years of age, but we didn't start medicating until a year ago. I am so glad we did. Nothing we did seemed to help his behavior.
    I would strongly urge you to have your son evaluated -- your ped can get you a referral. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• does he do this at home?
    have you asked him or the daycare if they know what sets him off?
    maybe it is not a good setting for him?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i'm not sure, here's a bump though!
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• He does have a dr's appointment with his ped on Monday and I am going to see what she thinks. He has never acted in a fit of "rage" at home and it just baffles me about his behavior today, or to the extreme it got. I am not sure if he needs to switch daycares but I do know they gave us a warning and then he if it happens again, he will be kicked out. The thing that triggered it today was they took something away from him that he wanted.
    momof2boys35

Comment by momof2boys35 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010