What's your view on the whole Sudafed thing?

I know I've asked this before, but why is this drug still on the market? Surely there are other alternatives for the people who are truly needing a decongestant. Do you think that by keeping the medication, this shows that the government really wants people to be addicted to crap so the money is still being spent?? Do you ever feel that addiction is a just a way for the medical community to make money off of us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not quite that cynical, but then I am a nurse. I think the FDA is allowing Sudafed to stay on the market (with the new controls to prevent meth manufacture) because they are trying not to interfere too much with the free market. I'm not the FDA's biggest fan, but I don't think it's about keeping people addicted to make money.

I have chronic allergies and prefer not to use decongestants, but I see no reason why they should not still be available. I have bigger concerns about people taking Tylenol PM to help them sleep when they're not even having pain. So many things have "hidden" acetaminophen in them, and people may not realize if they are exceeding the safe dose and possibly damaging their livers.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think just because some drug addict breaks it down to make meth dosen't mean i can't use it for my allergies. Seriously. People abuse cough medicine, benadryl, and mouthwash for christ sake. We can't babysit the entire population. The ones with pseudo are the only ones that work for me.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, the only OTC nasal decongestant currently out there that workd for me is Sudafed extra strength with pseudoephedrine, is the ONLY medication that works for me! I rarely get sick, but when I do, I want the symptoms to go away as soon as possible, and two little pills is all it usually takes! So, if I HAVE to show ID and sign a form every time I go to the pharmacist to get what I need so be it! I am hardly "addicted" to the stuff--since I take maybe 4-8 tablets per YEAR!

Seriously, all these stupid laws do, is make it harder for those who need and use the medication APPROPRIATELY, to get it!! And if it completely taken off shelves, then I'll just get a script from doctor! :o) People who can't be responsible ruin it for the rest of us who are, and are just trying to be productive citizens!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• ah, im sorry. i was the anon that worked at the pharmacy. just noticed i clicked anon!

but yes, like i said there's restrictions on it. you cant just go buying as much as you want and returning home to your meth lab. the reason this rule was created was to prevent dumbasses like these from doing so. but it does make it harder for the people who actually need it to get it. i think if the government were trying to make money off of us by allowing us to get addicted to it (which really doesnt make sense anyway?) then why would they put regulations on pseudo's?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I love Mucinex. It's pricey but it's the only thing I buy. And I just had to get some nyquil last night. They card you for that now! I used the u-scan and they had to ID me lol. I'm almost 31 so i was a little flattered but geeze!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Pseudoephedrine is used to make meth, that's why it's restricted. Few people, if any become atticted to pseudoephedrine, and I don't think I should be limited to crappy medications just because some meth-heads want to feed their habit. Sudafed is the only thing that works for my sinus issues. I already hate that I have to get it from the pharmacy, sneaking up there with that supid little plactic card thingy like some sort of criminal.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have sinus problems and Sudafed works well for that..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• are you taking about the sudafed with pseudophrine in it? that kind has restrictions on it, atleast at the pharmacy i once worked at. everytime somebody would purchase any otc drug with pseudo's in it, it would be recorded in a book and you are only allowed to buy so much per week.
    Anonymous

• As someone with severe sinus problems, the ONLY thing that works for me is Zyrtec D...yes the stuff with pseudoephidrine in it. I am not going to suffer, have sever headaches, face pain, pressure, runny nose, itchy eyes and be miserable because someone else THINKS the drug is addicting. Some people will be addicted to whatever you give them, while most people won't. IF idiots want to make other drugs with legal drugs, they are the ones who need to be busted so those of us who really need the meds can do so without having to sign our lives away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Not everyone that uses medicines with pseudoephedrine in it are addicted. I use pseudoephedrine when I am getting the onset of a sinus infection. If I can take a couple of doses of an OTC med instead of having to go to a Dr. to get an Rx for an antibiotic then I come out ahead and other patients that really need my Dr.'s attention for more serious issues win as well. You can make all sorts of drugs with chemicals you have at home. Should we outlaw all of those too?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010