What is the cut off limit on Public assitance in your state?

Say if our combined income was 50, 000 but it all went to paying all of our monthly bills, would we still qualify? I don't know how it works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Probably NOT. It is my son and I and we get cutoff of foodstamps well before $20,000 a year. Probably closer to $15,000 a year. Maybe budgeting better, getting rid of things you don't need, not eating out. Something that millions of us do everyday so we can just make it on way less than you are. If it wasn't for the living expenses I get from financial aid, I wouldn't have internet to do my online classes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• it doesnt matter how many bills you have. the only "allowances" they take into consideration are housing & utilities & child care (and they usually have what they call a "utility allowance" they go by regardless of your actual bill) they dont care if you have loans, credit cards etc. doesnt count. they consider your GROSS income (before taxes or insurance or anything else are taken out). We all know that the NET income you get on a check is less then what you actually make but it does not matter. If your making that much combined & you cant afford food you really need to rethink your priorities. Maybe file bankruptcy or something.
    Anonymous

• oh believe me we have cut out just about everything. next to go is cable. I really don't want to cut it because its the one thing my kids love is the cartoons. We've cut back on car insurance, we no longer eat out, i pack my kids lunch, we've even gone through credit counseling and no longer use any credit cards. Its just really hard.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Googled it for our state: Food stamps is 21,000 WIC 32,000. All this for a family of three.

Maybe someone needs to get a second job.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My dh already works 2 jobs. I am not able to. I have a part-time job while my son is at school and have to care for him when he gets out. I work all weekend. It would be nice to get some help. Its ad that some people get all these hundreds of dollars in foodstamps that they don't even need and get to go and sell them for cash when families like mine who bust their asses could actually use just a little help.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i guess according to some of you being a mom would be a second job.

bitch
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I went to http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/programs/foodstamps/estimator/index.html

ALL I typed in was 

gross income: $50,000

Monthly rent/mortgage w/ separate utilities : $1,000 (just a guess,  you can adjust to your rent)

No car info: (Because that can vary a lot, so I'll let you enter that info in).

And to qualify, the household size would need to be: 9  (to be "within limits" in all 3 areas)

Let me know if this helps.

mom-to-3-kids

Answer by mom-to-3-kids at 5:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• *Oh, and my state is Texas
    mom-to-3-kids

Answer by mom-to-3-kids at 5:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That's too much money to get any help at all. Sorry. I know its rough. We only make about half that & cant get anything. I put off bills all the time just to buy groceries. I am considering going to the food pantry soon.
    Anonymous