Sibling Rivalry

I have a 4 year old DD and a 2 1/2 year old DS (as well as a 1 year old). The 2 and 4 year old fight like crazy most of the day. I try to show them equal amounts of attention and not play favorites, but for some reason there seems to be a lot of sibling rivalry between the two of them. What can I do to calm it down a little...or a lot??

MommySteph06

Asked by MommySteph06 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have them play games together so they learn to work with eachother. Let them both know that they are the big kids and are special for that. Its comp normal to fight as siblings so dont take it too personally. They just need more positive interaction with eachother.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• also try giving them chores to help you with. let one sweep and the other use the dust pan. or one gets the babys diaper and the ohter gets the wipes. they need to work together to learn that they can stick together
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I dunno Ill let your know when my 5 year old DD and 3 year old DS stop bickering back and forth. Normally when it gets outa hand I send each to his or her room and seperate them.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 5:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My friend has a kindness chart for her kids. They get stickers for doing nice things on the chart for their siblings. Then after a week or so they get to go out to lunch, have ice cream, go to the park, etc. Now, her kids are a little older but even the two year old can get a sticker for hugs and kisses!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my 3 and 2 year old do the same... i try to get them involved in "games" together... but then i also have special things for each of them to do... my oldest gets to walk and get the mail with JUST mama... my youngest gets to come into the basement and get food for dinner with just mama... it's normal for them to fight...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• try spending alone time with each one. Sibling rivalry is normal though
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They're learning negotiation skills! Don't rob them of this experience. When mine bicker, I don't step in unless someone gets hurt. They have to figure it out on their own.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have an only child. But my MIL always told me if they were not hitting each other, she let them work it out among themselves. This way they learn to get along and negotiation skills.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If working together doesn't work, then separate them as best you can. If you have a sibling, do you remember what your parents did with you and your sibling?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010