How can I drop my 3 year old boy off at preschool w/o feeling horrible?

Ive been a stay at home mom this past year and off and on throughout his life. Now Im going back to school, really want him to start preschool. But if i even mention the word school or pull up in the drive way he cries. I know its normal for them to, but it kills me to see him so sad not wanting me to leave. HELP!

KaisMother

Asked by KaisMother at 4:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well, first realize WHY you are bringing him to school: It's good for HIM and you are doing something to make a better life for your whole family in going back to school.
    Talk to other moms, realize that we ALL feel the same way. Try to visit the place a few times with him. Make some friends. Seriously, the first meeting with another 3 year old and you ARE friends....and invite that child/mom to your house. Make ONE connection with another family and YOU will feel better.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my youngest is this way... no matter where i leave her (with grandma or dad even!!) i just explain to her that mom has to go, and that i will be back, kiss her and go on my way. within SECONDS of my leaving she is redirected and usually stops the fussing and honestly doesn't miss me while I'm gone... when I return I give lots of hugs and kisses, and just try to move on with things.
    it's hard... my oldest could care less where i am... so this is very different for me... and hard... but more often than not, the kiddos calm down within minutes of you leaving and don't recall a thing... just reassure him that you will be back, and make a big deal of how good of a boy he was while you were gone...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• thank you so much asil.
    KaisMother

Comment by KaisMother (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• asil gave great advice! And he'll probably cry for a few minutes then be fine
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Totally normal. After a little bit of time (sometimes, all it takes is one day!), they'll LOVE preschool and can't wait to go back!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010