Little boy discovery - Need your ideas.

My son is 3 1/2 years old. Just recently he has rediscovered his penis. This is an absolutely horrifying experience for me because I just don't know what to do about this. I stay at home with him and this doesn't happen outside of our home, but I have found him poking at it and laughing. I try to keep pants on him during the day to keep a little bit of a barrier but he loves to run around in just his shirt and training pants. I was told I am just supposed to ignore this behavior because it is common and it will pass. I remember my twin nephews going through this stage. But one of them (who is now 8) just stopped grabbing himself day and night! I don't want my son to be 8 years old grabbing at himself in public.

FLAngel981

Asked by FLAngel981 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is normal, try to put yourself in his place for a minute. He has just discovered something on his own body that bounces springs, and it's just fun to play with! Redirecting him is good, and you can also say, that's private honey, you don't do that in front of people, even mommy! My son used to pay a lot of attention to his when he was in the tub, and when his sister got old enough to sit in the tub I would sometimes put her in there with him. This was way back in the day, before I ever heard that bubble baths are a no-no! That was until she discovered his penis bobbing in the bubbles, he let out a yell, and that was the last shared bath! LOL
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son discovered that at 6 months! I just very gently tell him every time, "Don't play with that, honey, it's not a toy." I know modern perspective is that it's normal and healthy, and while I don't see it the same way as most people, I do think it's god to teach him not to do it in front of people. Try to do it in a way that doesn't make him feel dirty or ashamed. GL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• *good
    Adelicious

• Oh, and if i have to, I just gently pull his hand away and distract him with a toy.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thank you! I can't help but have a reaction when I see him poking around down there. And I usually redirect him because I don't know what is the proper response. I know he is exploring, but I don't want to see that!
    FLAngel981

Comment by FLAngel981 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my 3 year old girl recently discovered what she calls her "front butt" which is cute... i just explained that it's okay to discover things or poke at home, but it's NOT okay when she's not at home... just like we explained that asking EVERYONE she sees if they have a "front butt" too is NOT okay... it's normal, it will pass...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010