all year or just birthday & Christmas?

Do you give your kids things all year or just birthday & Christmas?

We give them things they need all year ie shoes, clothes & such. They really only get toys & such for birthday & Christmas though. They do get books all year from their school book order though. DH & I were just talking today that we really do not give them things threw the year. They do get stuff at Easter. That is usually a movie to share & small stuff though (usually things for outside like chalk, bubbles & such)

mommybug77

Asked by mommybug77 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Shopping

• We get DS small stuff throughout the year. When I see something I know he would like & I can afford it, I get it for him. I think it's better to give people gifts when you think of them-- not just on designated obligatory days.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I give my kids all year. I probably give them too much but I think I over compensate because I did not get much when I was little. I don't really care, I always think what if something happens to one of them..do I wanna look back on things and say I wish I would have...and plus they grow so fast. That's just me though. I do try to make them work for things however, and try to make them appreciate things. I try not to buy but then always cave because they were good or helped out more or whatever...I don't think there is only one way to do it..just do what works for you guys.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My son was born December 23, 2007 so he isn't even a year old yet. We have bought and bought since he was born!! We can't help ourselves and plus we kinda feel bad that his birthday is sooo close to Christmas. We plan on making both days special, but will continue to purchase little things throughout the year as we see fit:)
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My kids usually only get stuff on their birthdays and holidays. Occasionally they might get something small at another time if they've been good but it's rare. They have too much stuff as it is.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Im guilty of buying through out the year, especialy if I see a good sale. He loves books and puzzels so its hard not to get it if its educational. Sometimes I feel like I over do it but he never throws fits for things at the store. He'll say this is nice and put it back so hubby and I usually let him pick something out. He's spoiled rotten by our whole family but as long as he doesn't act out we don't mind. We waited a long time for him so he's worth every penny. :)
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 11:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that what you do is great. Most moms would say they feel their kids have too many toys and stuff, and that, in consequence, they cannot manage their belongings or fully appreciate them.
    knightmoves

Answer by knightmoves at 2:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'm horrible about buying things for the girls. If I see something I think they will just love I get it. If it's something big I hide it until Christmas. But something small I will hide until they do something nice for each other or get a good report card. Like my 8 year old. She's been extremely helpful the past few weeks. So I bought her a new rug for her room and some notebooks and colored pens since she loves writing stories and poems.
    Books are another huge weakness. I'm forever buying them new new books and switching them out with the old ones.
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 3:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I buy for my son little stuff over the year....He is spoiled by everyone else so me and DH dont have to haul out serious cash for stuff!
    ChiCheHa

Answer by ChiCheHa at 8:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We try to make it as equal as possible, obiviously they get things on occasion like birthdays, christmas etc. We buy them something if they earned, good makrs in school etc. But if nothing special happens and they want something usually all 3 of the younger kids get something or all of them get nothing.
    MOMMAof5_

Answer by MOMMAof5_ at 5:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008