What is Christianity?

Ok, before you get your panties in a bunch. . . I am writing a thesis paper on Christianity, the history of, and all it's glory. . . And as I am doing all the gritty research and all it came to me. . . ask the masses. . . So without further ado. I would like to ask you your definition of Christianity? What does it mean to be Christian? **Please if it helps pretend that I am a moron and have no idea about this faith** Please and thank you for all your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is one of the newest mystical religions on the planet, which took hold across the world thanks to the aid of an invading army instilling fear in those who wouldn't convert, combined with an implied threat of eternal damnation and carefully designed isolationist dogma which caused people to fear knowing others not like them. It grew and developed based on a patriarchal power structure that took in a lot of money with which to bribe kings, thanks in part to its ownership of entire cities, including the pubs and whorehouses. After about 1500 years, a massive power struggle developed, and they all spent 30 years slaughtering each other's families over who should be in charge of the doctrine and the money. From then on the rules changed to anyone with enough money could start their own version. (before anyone gets their panties in a twist - she asked what is Christianity, not what is a Christian, downvote away if you must)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• To me, what I believe is most concisely summarized by the Apostle's Creed. The rest of the creeds get a little too doctrinally nit-picky for me. My experience is that my faith is a relationship with my creator. Though I strive to be more like Christ, I'm not perfect, and I think a lot of what we are taught about Christ might be inaccurate. For instance, I'm convinced he had a sense of humor and that most of us would like hanging out with him.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 5:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My outsider (outsider meaning I'm not a Christian) view/opinion.

A Christian is: One who believes in /follows/adheres to the teaching of the Christ.. One who believes that the Christ died for the sins of man. One who believes that redemption and heaven are only obtainable through the belief that the Christ is theone true path to God.. One who believes in (but does not necessarily believe it itself is literal) the teachings in the Bible.

That's about it. Christians are free to cuss and discuss amongst themselves in regards to "who is a true Christian and who isn't". Since I am not a Christian, I have no opinion in regards to that. Not being a Christian, I have no place in judging those who follow that path of belief, and whether or not they are "true" and devout followers or not.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I believe a Christian is someone who believes in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and who believes that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man. I believe the main point is that Jesus shows us the Way in which God wants us to live (with love and compassion), the Truth about God's character (that He is love), and a new Life full of meaning, purpose, and love for God and our fellow man.

But I don't believe that there is a set standard of belief or doctrine when it comes to meeting the above definition. Christian, in my opinion, doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith, but instead indicates a specific standard of heart, a criterion of love, if you will...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• OKay. It means that I will have a personal relationship with God the Father, The son and the Holy spirit. I know he is ever listening and guiding me int he direction I should go. By basing my life on the walk of Christ and believing his death was the final sacrifice I know that I will be welcomed into the gates of Heaven on Judgment day. I believe God loved us all so much that he created a son to send to Earth to be our role mode and our Savior.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Oh, and I am a Christian, although there are those who would argue that, lol. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• someone who believes Jesus Christ's life and teachings are worth emulating in every day life as part of a belief in God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It means to believe believe that Jesus is the only begotten son of God and that he died as a sacrafice for our sins, then resurrected 3 days later. But it is also so much more than just believing. It is also accepting Christ into your heart and walking with Him daily. Having God and Jesus in your life changes you, it makes you want to be a better person. That doesn't mean that Christians suddenly become perfect once they are saved, but it means that we have a geniune desire to try to be the type of person God would be proud of .
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm not Christian but will give you my definition of it. It is someone that believes that Jesus was the Messiah, G-d incarnate and that Jesus died on the cross to bring salvation to all those that believe in him. It is a belief that the only way you can get to heaven is by believing Jesus is G-d and by paying homage to him.
    But in my own personal opinion the whole idea of Christianity comes from Paul and not the gospels. I believe it was Paul who created Christianity as it is viewed today.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Christianity came about as the fullfillment of the old testament prophecies of a savior/messiah who come into the world and establish a new law, hence christianity. Jesus Christ the son of God was sent here to fulfill those prophecies and establish a new covenant with man. Under the old law God dealt directly with his chosen people, the Israelites. Under the new covenant anyone can come to God through Jesus for spiritual salvation. True christianity reflects and embraces the teachings of the new testament. The first 4 gospels being about Jesus life, the book of Acts shows the beginnings of Christ's church. Christianity teaches there is only one God and yes he is the God of Abraham, one Lord, one faith, one hope. New testament chrisitianity follows the examples of Jesus and the apostles in the ways of salvation, worship, and how to live.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010