If your preschooler unplugged your freezer...

If your preschooler or young elementary schooler (age 3-6) were to unplug your freezer (empty at the time) would you think it appropriate to calmly talk to them and explain that if they do that again, it will make all the food you just bought go bad and they will have a very hungry tummy?
I posted this in the newcomer's group and somebody jumped on me, telling me that threatening food is not appropriate punishment. Apparently, she failed to realize that I was not punishing at all, just explaining the natural consequence of the situation.
So, what would you have done?

mom2ljh

Asked by mom2ljh at 5:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Any child 3-6 touching any electrical plug needs a quick wake up call. Sure I would tell them the food will go bad. More importantly I would talk about the danger of electricity.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i wouldnt let my preschooler unplug anything.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Nothing wrong with your explanation.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with explaining that the food would go bad. Doesn't sound like a threat of taking food away to me.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 8:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Rest assured cheribabii; I did not LET him unplug it. He did it of his own accord. Had I known he'd done so, it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place because I'd have just plugged it back in. Has your child never done something displeasing that you would not LET them do? They are thinking humans and do come up with things to do on their own, even if they're not always the best ideas.
    mom2ljh

Comment by mom2ljh (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010