HELP! (maybe tmi)

How can you tell when you start to lose your mucus plug when you have discharge while your pregnant? Like you wipe and it's yellow from the pee and then the discharge makes it thicker. Haha I know it's gross to explain but true!

Isn't that what the mucus plug is supposed to look like?

ours

Asked by ours at 10:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOL.....I just posted a question about the same thing....hope we get our answer!! :)
    JenLavazza

Answer by JenLavazza at 10:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• That's normal. I remember freaking out the first time I saw discharge like that. You'll know when it's your mucus plug. I can't explain it but you'll just know. Even if you don't know a mucus plug is no big thing to loose. I lost mine at 33 weeks and my OB didn't even care. lol
    Anonymous

• From what other women have wrote, it looks like snot. I dont know as this is my first pregnancy and I am only 22.3 weeks along.
    Anonymous

• Yes it looks like slightly bloody snot. lol but it is also common to have discharge like that especially after sex. You'll know it's your mucus plug if it just keeps "coming out". If it happens like all day when you wipe it's probably your mucus plug. Don't worry about it though. It doesn't always mean you'll go into labor soon.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• BOOOOO! (on no labor soon) lol
    JenLavazza

Answer by JenLavazza at 10:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Nopers im 31 weeks and i lost mine,
    No pains...no nothin...no labor,....just happens ;o)

getting you ready making sure u know...
    pregnancy isnt gonna last forever!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It looks like a big wad of snot. It will look different; you'll be able to tell when it comes!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Don't let the plug get you all excited. Last baby I lost mine a whole month before I went into actual labor (I remained 2 cm dialated that whole month too). So just chill and don'tcall the relatives until you are atually admted at the hospital with true active labor =).
    monkeytrianer

Answer by monkeytrianer at 12:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Based on what I researched, and my experience, I would guess that if it was the mucus plug, it would be kind-of like a good, large mass that remains more-or-less intact when it is expelled, unlike a discharge, even a thick, gel-like discharge, that separates. (I think!)
    knightmoves

Answer by knightmoves at 2:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• knightmoves, THANK YOU! That was honestly so helpful :]

I know I didn't lose my plug, I was just wondering after I had peed how you were supposed to tell the difference haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008