Childhood (Early Onset) Bipolar Disorder

I have bipolar and see a therapist. My therapist thinks I should have my 4 year old DD evaluated for it for a few different reasons (bipolar may be genetic, and she has some common traits of childhood bipolar). But her father is completely against it. He won't even admit that it is a possibility that our DD might have this disorder. He said he doesn't want her medicated at such a young age (I agree), but I explained we could therapy. He just won't budge! How can I get him to be on board with an evaluation? I just want to catch it early if it is something so she has a better chance at being "normal".

MommySteph06

Asked by MommySteph06 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• How is he about your diagnoses? Some people do not understand that mental health issues can be treated and is not the social stigma that it once was.
    I am a special education teacher that works at a school for students with social/emotional disorders. I give you kudos for being proactive in your child's mental health. I wish all parents were as concerned as you are.
    Have you presented him with any statistics or information? Have you asked him why he is opposed to it? Is he afraid of having a child with this disorder?
    There is a wonderful organization that might be able to give you ideas. It's called Bring Change 2 Mind. They have a website it's www.bringchange2mind.org.
    Good Luck!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Has he been to the doctor with you and had the whole process explained to him?

I understand his view though, diagnoses are often wrong when children are younger, my younger sister was diagnosed and for the rest of her life was labelled as a freak as my parents had to tell the school. Obviously if your child is upset constantly and cannot get along in life yes I would have her tested but I think that I would be agreeing with your husband on this point, providing there's nothing awful going on.

Obviously, though, I don't know so I would say explain to him how serious it could get if not caught early?
    supersarahh

Answer by supersarahh at 5:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Something awful is going on though. I cannot control her at all. I cannot punish her. She literally physically and mentally exhausts me every single day. She gets angry at a snap of a finger and will hit me or her younger brother. She will get mad and throw things across the room. And then 5 minutes later, she will snap out of it and be completely happy. I don't know what's wrong with her. My therapist said it may not be bipolar (but she thinks it probably is), but she thinks there is something definitely going on.
    I do not like the over labeling of kids these days either, but I honestly think something is going on with her. It aggravates me that he won't even allow an evaluation. It's like he's in denial and doesn't want to face the possibility of something really being wrong.
    MommySteph06

Comment by MommySteph06 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thank you for the site. I will definitely look into that.
    He is not supportive of my diagnosis. He thinks I'm "crazy" and I make it up (I don't). So I imagine he would feel the same if our DD was diagnosed with it. The only objection he gave was that he didn't want her medicated at her age, but I immediately overcame that objection by saying we could do talk therapy if she does have bipolar.
    MommySteph06

Comment by MommySteph06 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I feel the same way you do. My son has the moodswing and is angry and upset alot. My husband calls him sensitive and girly. i called 2 weeks ago and got him an appointment set up for therapy. even though it was his first visit , we both ended up leaving feeling better than we did when we walked in. I wish you nothing but the best and i hope you do get him some help.
    tinkerbella3

Answer by tinkerbella3 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010