How do I get my son to stop doing this???

When he talks, he doesn't do this all the time but if someone is visiting or someone he doesn't know well is around and he tries to talk to me or the other person he has to over exaggerates his words or take long pauses between them or very deep breaths between words. It's like hes trying to hard or something I don't know I just wish he would stop cause everyone thinks he has problems now cause he does this.

bhoward87

Asked by bhoward87 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am guessing, but I would say that he is a little shy and nervous. This sounds to me like pretty normal behavior, especially in front of new people. I know mine always had something really, really important to say whenever we had company...you know, like...mom, mom, mom, the dog is licking his butt again. I think it's the age - I bet he grows out of it.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• he may just be very nervous or he has a hint of terrets(sp?) Ticks are usually casued by nervousness. Im not saying he has that but if you are worried then id get him evaluated. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree it could just be nerves. Stay calm and don't make a big deal of it. Help him thorugh those times.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yeah I dont make a big deal about it when he starts I just tell him to calm down and talk slowly so he can get out what hes trying to say. I highly doubt its terrets though but thanks for the advise.
    bhoward87

Comment by bhoward87 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Kids oftentimes grow out of certain behaviors. If it starts to impede his abilities, or if you're really worried, then get it checked. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with what other think if you're okay with it. He sounds adorable!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010