Has anyone delayed kindergarten for their child and regretted it?

I have 3 year old boy/girl twins with a late August birthday, so they could potentially turn 5 and start to kindergarten on the same day. Had they been born 10 days later they would be forced to wait another year to start school. At this point I expect I will keep them in preschool an extra year and delay kindergarten. I feel in my heart that this will be best for my son. My daughter is pretty advanced, so I'm not quite so convinced it's the best idea for her. Has anyone held their child out of kindergarten for a year and ended up regretting it?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have discussed this alot with my clients since we have been debating it. I have not heard a single person regret holding them, but I have heard several say that they regret NOT holding them a year. But your kiddos are only 3 and a few months so a lot of maturing can occur in that time. I would keep your options open for now, but he may surprise you between now and then.,
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i didn't regret it at all.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 5:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I regret NOT delaying my son starting. He's in his 2nd year of kindergarten now. He turned 5 in June, and his first year of kindy started early August.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I wish this was allowed in my province! In my province, kids start junior kindergarten if they are four by Dec 31st. I have the option not to put her in, but if I do that, she would still start in senior kindergarten the next fall, so she would still be a year younger and plus would not have had the first year of kindergarten so that would put her even further behind!) So she is now three years old in junior kindergarten. She enjoys it the social aspects, but she seems a LOT younger than many of the other kids, and her fine motor skills and things like that are far behind some of the other kids and that bothers me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I wish I had held him back.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My children have late birthdays and they've had no problem with it. It's not going to hurt them
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010