3 1/2 month old and food...

My baby is REALLY interested in food. I know it is a little early to be giving her food to eat, I am however going to start her on foods when she is 4 1/2 months (cereal to start) but for know I let her suck on food when I am eating if I know it isn't going to fall apart and get in her mouth... like biscuts, and green beans... I have only don't it a couple times and she LOVES it, I just wanted to know will this hurt her?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 5:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes,she could choke. Also you're setting up food habits that could possibly have her ending up obese. Don't be in such a hurry for your baby to start eating.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• she just sucks on it while i am holding on to it, lol I don't just put it in her mouth! how could sucking on green beans be setting her up for being obese?
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would be more worried about potential allergies or the food upsetting her stomach. at 3 1/2 months their little tummies are not developed enough to handle solid foods in the digestive system and could cause problems down the road. And for the allergy side of it there have been studies that children introduced to high risk foods too early could cause them to develop an allergy to that food. My dd is severly allergic to nuts and nobody else in either my husbands or I's family has a nut allergy so you never know. Make sure if you continue to do this that you are only introducing one food at a time and put at least a few days between them...an allergy can show up in a small form like a diaper rash or small bumps at first but could develop into something more severe the second or third time.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• its nice that you want her to start exploring, but it's best to wait til atleast six months. most people don't know that infants under 1 year of age dont actually need any baby food at all, it's just practice. all they really need is breastmilk or formula. feeding them too soon can cause them to have food allergies believe it or not. not saying it will happen but it could, so its up to you whether or not you want to take that risk. i would just stick to what pedi's recommend, infant cereals at 4 months then fruits and veggies at 6 months. good luck =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It is TERRIBLE tha people have to make RUDE comments, your child WILL NOT become OBESE from giving her green beans.

Go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    There is lots of great info on starting baby food. My pedi recommended this website. You can start food as early as 4 months but 6 months is better. You are the mom and only you know when your child is ready, if you think she is ready then go for it. The best way is to start off slow and offer a new food every couple of days.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't think this is a good idea. Although you are holding it, there IS still a chance she could choke. Also, her gut is not ready for anything other then breast milk or formula at this point. Early introduction of solids IS linked to obesity, though this does not mean that your child absolutely will have weight problems, just that there is a chance. I too am concerned about the allergy factor. My advice to you, if you want it, is to stick with breast milk or formula until at least 6 months of age, and then, sometime after 6 mos, offer small, soft, finger foods that she can eat on her own. That's my two cents, take it or leave it :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

I don't think the comment was rude. It is true that early introduction of solids CAN (read: can, not WILL) cause problems later with weight. It's just a fact, not someone saying, don't feed your child yet or they WILL be fat. Maybe the OP was not aware of this, it's just information.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I meant if you start giving her stuff she shouldn't have yet she'll want to be having what you have. If you're having pizza,burgers,etc. All she needs is formula right now. its not rude,its true.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for 6 mo. Formula feeding and early solids are associated with obesity. Just because a baby is interested in food doesn't mean the baby is ready for food, the baby can digest food, or that food is good for the baby. Early solids can harm immature digestive systems, even sucking on food. When babies start solids they don't need cereal or jar food. They can start on fork mashed banana or sweet potato  that they can feed themselves. They need single ingredient foods like fruits and veggies not biscuts. At first babies need easy to digest foods, not harder to digest foods like green beans or corn.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No I wasn't aware of feeding her a little early could cause obesity. However I am not worried about that because I don't care what it is, it gets blamed for why people are over weight.. I feel if we eat right and have regular activity then you won't be obese. I am however concerned about the allergy side of it!

I just didn't see that letting her suck on something just a couple times would hurt anything. What is there to diegest? all she got was a little flavor, how would that hurt her? I just don't understand that part of it! Thanks for all the information also!!
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010