mow many ounces?

how much ounces of breast milk and formula should i be feeding my newborn? she is 6 days old, im not sure about how much to give her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are just nursing, then nurse on demand. At 6 days old, she will be nursing VERY frequently, and likely for long periods of time. If you are pumping and bottlefeeding, and supplementing with formula, I'm not sure of exact amounts, but I would offer NO MORE then 2 oz at a time, and would not expect baby to finish it all. No judgement here from me, but giving supplements could have a negative effect on your supply, and I want you to know that supplementation is probably not necessary (I don't know the specifics of your situation, why you are supplementing, but I DO know that often times moms think they HAVE to suppliment. Most don't). Assuming that everything is fine, medically, etc, I would recommend for a mom of a 6 day old baby to just nurse, and do so on demand, no bottles, no formula. Besides having a negative effect on your supply, baby could devolop a preference to the flow of bottle, and refuse breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Like I said, I just want to make sure that you have the right information, I would hate to see you have nursing problems because of unnecessary supplementation. I hope I was helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I totally agree with Krysta. I was even told to supplement by my ped because DS/DD had lost weight. That is NORMAL for a breastfed baby. they talked me into formula with my son but not my daughter. She was gaining weight just fine by 2 weeks old. Babies under 3-4 months should be demand fed for your supply's sake. But if you are giving formula then it is something like 1.5-2 oz per pound of body weight.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My Pedi told me that for the first month feed on demand, no matter if you are feeding formula or breastmilk. My son was drinking 1-2 oz every 2-3 hours.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Breastfeed about every 2 hours. You don't want to give any bottles or pacifiers, you wan all of the baby's sucking to be at your breast. If you don't think your baby is getting enough, call a lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader. Doctors and nurses aren't trained in breastfeeding management.

Formula fed babies must not be fed too much. Infants have a strong sucking need and will take in too much formula. Their stomach is about the size of their fist. Some babies will suck down 8 oz, think what that would do to a tiny stomach. Infants need to eat frequent smalll amounts. There are charts that tell you how much to bottle feed infants by age and weight. The doctor or hospital should have instructed you.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• A new baby can consume about a liter of breast milk a day. It's a lot of feedings. You might feel like the baby is on your boob constantly, because the baby is on you constantly. This is totally normal and healthy. Most brand new babies will only eat an ounce or two at a time. Nursing is fun and delicious and brand new. So your baby will want to do it all the time. It'll change in a few weeks.

There is a breastfeeding group here where you can get good info and support to keep up the nursing. kellymom.com has tons of good info on nursing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• One thing I remember about babies, is that you no sooner get their schedule fixed in your mind, that it changes! I had a sister-in-law who was super anal, and she had everything scheduled, according to her wants. Well, when twins came along, she had to listen to a bunch of crying before she got a clue!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If you bottle feed the recommendation through the entire first year is 24-32 ounces in 24 hours. If you nurse, just nurse on demand, which for a 6 day old will be at most every 3 hours, more than likely more often than that. With either method a great way to be able to tell if your LO is getting enough is to keep track of her wet diapers, as long as there are at minimum 6 wet diapers every day then she is getting enough.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Normally 2-4-6 oz but every baby is different. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think the general rule is 24 oz in 24 hours, but of course you can't measure that breastfeeding. I just looked that up when my son started biting and I switched from nursing to bottle feeding.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2010