Should there be a law that ALLOWS spanking in public?

We witnessed an incident in the store today that resulted in a boy about 4 receiving a spanking. The kid deserved it in my humble opinion, and it was not at all overboard on the part of the mother. An older woman confronted the poor mom trying to control her son and said she was going to call the police, which seemed total overboard to me.

I know everybody doesn't agree with spanking, but should there be a law that spells out what's permittable so parents can make their own choice without strangers attacking them? Has anybody been confronted like this where somebody REALLY called the police?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Hell no!

Answer by older at 6:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't think the police would even do anything about it. CPS doesn't consider spanking child abuse so long as there isn't a mark left. If anyone threatened to call the police on me I'd laugh and continue on my way.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Until there's a law that says otherwise, I say spank away!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There are laws in some states. My state allows it. Physical forms of discipline may be used as long as there is no physical injury to the child. Secs. 19-7-5/ 19-15- 1/49-5-180.[Ci.] Parent or person in loco parentis reasonably disciplining of a minor has a justification for a criminal prosecution based on that conduct. Sec. 16-3-20.[Cr.]. Link.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No. I personally think if you do spanking, it should be done in private. Not where everybody can see it.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If it isn't illegal then why make it legal? It's just a fact that anyone who spanks in public had better know that anyone could make a complaint. You are taking a chance of getting arrested or investigated, It;s one case in America where you are guilty until proven innocent
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If some old coot was crazy enough to approach me and tell me that, she better have her running shoes on....I would explode on her...sometimes kids deserve a smack on the ass. Thats all there is to it.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I will spank my kid in public if need be and will deal with the consequences.
    I won't surrender my rights, they'll have to take them.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think ppl need to mind their own. When my son acts ugly out and shame me i'm scared to get on his case for that exact reason my husband on the other will get him. I feel like a child will test you more when u out because they feel you wont do anything. you cant win in these cases cause if you spank them ppl yell abuse and if you say no honey stop dont do that ppl talking about how bad your kids arre when they dont respond to that. and they still look at the mama crazy
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 6:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That's odd. I ususally get told that I should spank my child when he acts out in public.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010