What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

How does Pitocin affect contractions?

If you've given birth with and without, what's the difference?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 6:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There was no difference for me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My water broke, I had no contractions for 2 hours-they gave me that and it slowly brought them on.

I wonder how it works.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• With pitocin obviously you have an IV and usually an external monitor (the belt one on the outside of your belly). You are limited in how much you can move and you can't walk or squat. It makes it difficult to get in good positions to be able to tolerate the contractions. Most women feel out of control, in pain, and almost everyone has an epidural. I had pitocin without an epidural but it was my 3rd birth, my first two were intervention-free (NOTHING), and I had childbirth training.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had ds with no pitocin and dd with a slow pitocin drip. My body was contracting on its own but the contractions were not very close together or very strong and my bp was rising so baby needed to be born soon. They said I could do pitocin or a csection but if i chose to do nothing i would have to sign a waiver releasing the hospital from any liability in case something went wrong bc of my blood pressure,diabetes,etc. Anyway once DH and I decided on the pitocin the contractions came on a better schedule so the nurses could track them better instead of one hitting out of nowhere. What it did for me was speed up my labor. It was not any more painful than having ds without it. Pitocin is basically a man made form of the hormone a womans body normally produces by itself when a baby is ready to be born. When it works properly it makes you contract the same way the hormone would if your body was putting it off.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 7:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Pitocin makes it faster :)
    jat82

Answer by jat82 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with gaill it bring labor on fast and makes contractions worst,I had 2 natural and one with pitocin without an epidural amd it was hard
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 7:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Pitocin is a synthetic oxytocin. A clear liquid administered through IV.
    Oxytocin is one of the hormones that plays a part in the labor process. Injecting your body with synthetic oxytocin is expected to cause uterine contractions. It may be used to start labor, speed up a slow labor, or to cause the uterus to clamp down and stop bleeding after your baby and placenta are born.

Risks for Mother include:
    Increased pain with contractions which often leads to the use of pain medications
    Requires continuous monitoring to detect complications and/or progress which interferes with mobility
    Requires an IV
    Can cause long contractions and contractions with double peaks
    Slightly increases the possibility of a uterine rupture
    Increases the likelihood of a fetal malpresentation or malposition
    Pitocin use is associated with an increased need for cesarean surgery for distocia and fetal distress
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Might I add that they get this hormone from cows.....

And I couldn't fit the risks to baby which include:
    Increases the likelihood of depressed fetal heart rate patterns
    Increases the chances of Fetal Distress due to decreased oxygen availability
    There are increased risks to your baby if you end up with a cesarean
    Pitocin has also been linked to Autism in children
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had one labor with pitocin and two labors without. I noticed no difference in the length, strength, or duration of contractions. Many people that talk about the horrors of pitocin have never actually used it, so they have no idea.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was having normal contractions that I could manage just fine. Then, they gave me Pitocin, the contractions instantly became nearly unbearable and really close together and strong. It is a drug designed to bring on harder, stronger contractions. To help speed up the process. I will not be getting it next time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010