Over weight 4 month old

My 4 month old daughter is 15 lbs 6 oz at her 4 month check up. She is 24 inches long. The doctor didn't say she was over weight but should I be concerned?

MadeylnsMom

Asked by MadeylnsMom at 10:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was almost 16 lbs and 26 inches and he's kind of skinny at 4 months. I feed him well, he's just like that. Your daughter seems average to me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Why do you think that is over weight?
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Some babies are born weighing 11 lbs! That's a big newborn, but, that being said, at 4 months 15 lbs is not overweight and your pediatrician would tell you if there was reason to be concerned. You can always ask at your next appointment if it is still on your mind.
    Anonymous

• My son is just barely 3 months and a little under 13 lbs. People say he's small!! He's in the 25th percentile for his weight. If that's the case I don't think 15lbs at 4 months is very big!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• she was born at 8lbs 8 oz. I work at a daycare n most kids are really small..i know that i'm not to compare kids but
    MadeylnsMom

Answer by MadeylnsMom at 10:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My 12 week old son is 14 pounds. And he was 7.1 at birth. I don't think for one second he is over weight. Big boy, yes, but babies need that "baby fat" for healthy development. As they grow and become more active it all evens out. If the baby were over weight and there was concern, the pediatrician should talk to you about it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• nope
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• nope my son was the same way he is six months and now over 20 lbs i asked the dr and he said he was fine. he was 8 lbs 9 oz when he was born.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think the ped would let you know if there is reason to be concerned. It is part of normal development for babies to store fat or become chunky. That way they have energy reserves for when they start crawling/walking. That weight should eventually come off when your baby is able to be more active.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• No.. Once she becomes mobile she will be just fine. Chubby babies are cute.. enjoy it!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008