HELP PLS... Have any of you had a Doctor do a Colposcopy during a pregnancy?

A Colposcopy is when they look at your cervix with a magnifying device so they can see your cervix better. They do it after you get an abnormal pap smear to see if there is anything on your cervix. I am just a little freaked out about it bc they will scrape the surface or even put a brush up in to your cervical canal and scrape to get cells to test. They say it is ok do while you are pregger but I have had 11 MCs and I am afraid I will cause me to have another one...O.o

Lena-Loo

Asked by Lena-Loo at 7:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't. I needed to have one because I had a few abnormal paps but she didn't want to do it after she found out I was pregnant. Doesn't sound safe to me.
    LuckyMa113920

Answer by LuckyMa113920 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• K thank you..
    Lena-Loo

Comment by Lena-Loo (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If you have had 11 miscarriages I really REALLY hope you have had a proper recurrent miscarriage work up. Please say you have been tested for blood clotting disorders and autoimmune conditions.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yeah, I have seen a Genetic Counselor through out this hole pregnancy. They can not find anything wrong with me or baby... Hopefully we will have a happy healthy baby in a few months:)
    Lena-Loo

Comment by Lena-Loo (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Id say get it done but wait until you are farther along in your pregnancy to get it done. Most places wont even do one until your in your 2nd trimester. I have to get one done but it wont be until about 20weeks along. i requested to wait alittle longer.
    jessikay63

Answer by jessikay63 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well I will be 17 weeks when they do it and my Doc keeps tilling me not to sweat it but I dont think he really gives a crap...
    Lena-Loo

Comment by Lena-Loo (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If it were me personally.... I would wait until 24wks, if the dr says its ok to wait. Its only another 7wks. At least then, if it kicks off your cervix dilating, your baby has decent chance
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had one done... I forget exactly when they did it though, I believe I was in the 2nd trimester. I had no complications from mine but given your history I would wait or even tell your doctor that you would prefer to wait until after you have the baby. No matter what your doctor wants to do you are the one who controls what he does. If you tell him you want to wait or you don't want it done right now then he is obligated to do as you wish.
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i had a couple abnormal paps during pregnancy, but was told we wouldn't do anything until after i gave birth... i was retested after delivering and they were normal...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 11:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Answer by babymar
    I had a couple abnormal paps during pregnancy, but was told we wouldn't do anything until after i gave birth... i was retested after delivering and they were normal...

I think mine is abnormal bc I am pregger. They did a pap when I was 4ish weeks(it was normal) and then did another one at my 10week mommy check up and that one came back abnormal??? I mean really how much stuff can change (cancer wise) in 6 weeks?
    Lena-Loo

Comment by Lena-Loo (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010