Can marriage sometimes be a casuality of war?

- with returning vets trying to adjust to civilian life.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Oh this is a big pet peeve of mine... the lack of support our vets get for mental health once they return home. These people have sacrificed so much for our freedom and they are repaid by being shoved out on their own. And this isn't a new situation, WWII vets came home "Shell shocked", Vietnam vets finally got the diagnosis of PTSD, and you bet it effects them for life. I have a friend who is a psychologist at the VA and he works with vets with PTSD. These men and women need long term mental health care and there is no stigma to getting it. And their spouses deserve help too. Our country really screws over vets and it makes my blood boil!!! Ok, sorry, ranting done for now.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 11:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• From experience- only if you let it. My husband has been deployed 3 times and its not easy. The transition home is hard on both parties but you have to purpose in your heart that you WILL make it, no matter what.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Not sure I get this question sorry!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes. I know a woman who had exactly that happen. Her husband returned from Iraq and had PTSD, which led to meth addiction, which led to him pulling a gun on her. She divorced him after that. It was really sad.

But with help it can be saved. It depends on how hard the partners are willing to fight for it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My personal opinion.

Yes, very much so.

Some return from war changed forever, and not always changed in a good way. Some returning from war have difficulties adjusting back to "normal" daily life. Some return from war with disorders that can cause issues/problems. Some return from war with addictions. Some return from war without a desire to live any longer, and that affects a marriage... I could continue to list the myriad of ways "War" can affect a marriage. But I'm sure the general idea has been conveyed.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• yes so sad
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think a lot of young guys who are signing up just don't understand how drastically war time will impact the rest of their lives. :(
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes it can become a casualty of war! I know so many women who lost that battle in their homes and are left with wounded hearts and lonely children.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 8:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes!! Many marriages break up after someone comes home from the war. The person coming back has seen and done things that changes them and sometimes, they can't get past that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Link to a related article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-abbott/lest-we-forget-marriage-i_b_782279.html
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010