spankings really do work(*vent*)

OK if you don't spank please don't bash me but yesterday my daughter was asking for it.
her my nieces and a few of there friends had a little sleepover at my house last night since there's no school today and tomorrow OK well i was gonna order pizza but we eat that a lot so i decided to cook ,when we went in to the grocery store i told her & my other daughter to pick out some snacks for them and the rest of the girls tonight she picked out:ice cream,cookies,candy&strawberries i told her to put 1 back&she threw a FIT she threw everything off of the shelf she screamed real loud*i was furious i grabbed her arm:and gave her two whacks on her butt&when we got out of the store &she told me she was gonna call the police and i told her:" if u do u better hope Ur dad loves u enough to come get u she finally got her act together& got in the car went home and took a long nap before her company arrived & i haven't had any backtalk all day

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Each child is different. Spankings worked for me. Time outs did not work for me. with my sister, my mother didn't need to resort to spankings, as time outs worked for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• kids are such a pain sometimes......I hate it when you are doing something fun for them and they act like jerks!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Good for you! same happended to my sis as a kid. she threatened my mom with the police and she said good have fun in your new fostter home. lol spanking is not always bad when its abs necessary. Its more of teh embarassment that teaches a lesson thenthe pain. Most of us do it out of anger when it may not be whats needed in the moment but you have to know when is the timeand know ur limint.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think the point that most people try to make is that the spanking may have worked so to speak to get her to stop the behavior you didn't like at the time, but it doesn't teach kids anything.
    it just teaches them 'don't do that or you'll get hit' not as to why she shouldn't have behaved that way.

if you are going to make posts like this, then how about you show your side and tell us what you think that really taught your daughter?
    I'm always open to hearing both sides.
    Anonymous

• Doesnt that drive you nuts that she knows that already, about calling the cops on you? I would have gotten it 10 times worse from my mom at the car for saying something like that. Calling the cops on my parents never would have even crossed my mind as a child...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Sometimes you neeet your child know who's in charge. Spankings always worked for me with my oldest grown children they knew I menat business.
    I would have to say to the anon poster that maybe they show them selves instead of hiding behind the anon button. spankings do works DO NOT1
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I told my mom I was going to call Children and Youth on her, and she said "Go ahead, we live 20 minutes away, I can have you beaten to a bloody pulp by the time they get here." I never said that again!! LOL

When my friends kids said it to her, She said "Go right ahead, I get a break from you and you will get sent to your father" they never said it again either. LOL!!

Sometimes, a quick wit is a must when you are dealing with kids.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• give them a mile and they try to take three!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 8:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Wow! how old is your daugther? i am entering the terrible twos so i am no where you are but i would of done the same thing. good for you. sometimes its necessary to embarress. show them who is the parent.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I tried the take them from the situation before spanking thing..... it didn't work. They DO learn quickly;) that people will "feel sorry for them" as we live in Oregon with plenty of "know it alls" So they learned quickly as we removed them from public place to yell "Mommy, don't spank me! Ok, Ill be good!" Which of course if we went back their behavior would have been 10times worse feeling empowered by everyone supporting their wrong behavior.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010