Got any tips for surviving colicky 2 mth old twins?

I have 2 mth old twin girls. They are extremely fussy and cry a lot. They are not sleeping to well. My husband and I are going insane. We have a 15 mth old as well. How do we get through this?

kherz

Asked by kherz at 8:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need friends and family or at least a good daycare you can take them to once or twice a week to keep your sanity. I've been there and done that. My girls are 9. It does get better. You need to have family/friends relieve you every once in a while. Also try mylicon drops. The doc gave my last baby something. Call tomorrow and ask for something from their doc. Gl
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Poor Mama, sounds like you have your hands full. Two months old is a hard age, because you don't know why they are crying, and have no idea what to do for them! Maybe they are going through a growth spurt and need more food? If you are certain they are eating enough to satisfy themselves, try laying them across your knees and moving your legs up and down gently, I spent several nights in my rocker doing this. Maybe one is crying because the other is crying, the good news is that the knee thing can be exercise for you at the same time!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Put the word out with your friends and family that you really need some help. People will understand and prob be very willing to come over and help with the twins or the 15 month old (you may even have some friends/ family that would love to help but are just afraid to ask). Even just a few people comming over once or twice a week for a few hours could make a world of difference to you. Good luck and remember, it won't be like this forever.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The mylicon drops are a joke, IMO. You can make this mix, 8 oz water with 1 Tbs and 1 tsp sugar. Mix that up and when they get really fussy give them 1 oz of this warm. The sugar has a chemical reaction with the brain that makes people "happy" and "calm". As well as other things, I can't remember, but keep that mix in the fridge, not out all day. I was also told to try to feed them less but more often until their system settles down. If they are really bad and you are considering changing their formula if they are FF don't do it all at once. Make it a gradual process. I had to mix an entire day of formula. So if you are making 4 cups for your twins, adjust by one scoop daily. So 15 of old formula and 1 scoop of new, next day 14 and 2...this doesn't shock their system! Trick I learned from my mom. And then I made the bottles too for the 24 hour period. This too keeps air bubbles from getting in their system since you aren't...
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• ...aren't mixing the bottle right before serving. I sware by these little things I learned along the way. It won't cure every fussy moment all the time, but won't be shocks to their system. My first son was colicky and eventually we put him on nutramigen for 6 weeks, after I stopped breast feeding...cause I was supplementing anyways because I just didn't produce enough milk. But anyways. Good luck to you. Take any help any friends or family offers!!!!!! And if you need to cry, just cry and let it out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• did you try the colick stuff they sell at the health food store and friends and fam to help
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• breast feed and cobed you'll all sleep better and feel great too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• are they small or preemies... my son seemed to be collicy - at least that is what his pedi described - poor kid was just starving. he was crying like an hour after a bottle, and i couldnt get the gas to come out, working his legs in bicycle motions, laying him on his tummy and rubbing his back to get him to fart. finally i gave up and just gave him another bottle. for the first 4 months he basically at every hour during the day. he went from below the growth chart to the 75th percentile for height and 50th for weight. it could be an early growth spurt. try that please. just give it a try. i was a pain in the ass baby and after my mom watch me with ds. she said... well shit maybe i was just hungry like that too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Get them food sensitivity tests. I did that with my son when he was a year and a half old. It showed a food intolerance for citrus. My son was breastfed, we co-slept, I held him all the time, we tried gripe water, we did all the right things to combat colic, but he was still whiny. We found out he was in pain that whole time! If I had him tested earlier, I would have taken citrus out of my diet, and he would have been just fine.

We did find that the product Colic Calm worked wonders. It was well worth the $25 per bottle!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• get something called Colic Calm!!!! its all natural homeopathic and it works amazingly! i got mine at longs so im sure any drug store near you has it. good luck.
    Dynamight

Answer by Dynamight at 6:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010