can i put my sons stinky shoes

in our front loader washer? one has material with some leather and the other set is all leather or fake leather i don't know. he has really stinky feet and shoes. we bought him new socks and shoe sprays. i doubt the insoles would work well enough. so we thought we put them in the wash. we have a birthday party and don't want our friends and family assaulted by the smell which is really hard for us to take.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I put my kids tennis shoes in the front load washer all the time, it's a little loud but they haven't ever fallen apart. I then set them out to dry though instead of putting them in the dryer. You could also try putting them in a pillow case and tying that shut before you throw them in the wash. His feet sound like my brothers were growing up, he wasn't allowed to bring his shoes in the house and had to go and scrub his feet the minute he walked in the door!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I do what Lisa89j said.!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You could try it. If they fall apart you could just buy some new shoes....which might be a good idea anyway if they smell that bad.
    Anonymous

• i would but i just bought them and i can't afford new ones right now. were really strapped!
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• also he would destroy the new ones as well i'm sure.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Usually when I need to wash shoes that I am unsure will make it through the washer, I soak them in a bucket (or sinkful) of water with some laundry soap. Then I scrub them with a brush if there is anything that looks like it needs to be scrubbed off.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Wash them by hand, using a toothbrush, and dry in the sun. They may be destroyed in the washer and dryer may make them shrink.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010