What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

What age becomes the unsafe zone to have a baby?

I heard after 32 it becomes tricky. After 32 your child could have problems. I know that can happen with anyone but past what age does it become risky.

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Statistically speaking at age 35 the risk for Down Syndrome increases dramatically, but that is just something to keep in mind if you're ttc. I guess you have to think about how big of a deal it would be for you and your hubby/so if you had a child with some sort of challenge.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think you should consult your dr if you are thinking about trying for a baby. My dr's wife had her last child at 39 years old and perfectly healthy, my mom had my brother at 37 years and he is perfect.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm only 26 I was just curious
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• honestly, the age keeps going up and i believe that is because there is a larger "sample" for statistics.
    personally, i believe that there is much more involved than merely a woman's age.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had my 2nd DS(SURPRISE!) at 38 years old and he is perfectly healthy. It was a little harded on me, but as long as you take care of yourself and listen to your doctor and your body I think age is just a number and not a deal breaker.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Medically, the older the woman, the more risk of problems with the baby or the mother. On the other hand there are many more older women having babies now who are perfectly healthy. There are risks for everyone who ever has a baby but the risk just increases with age, it doesn't mean the negative things will hapen tho.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The risk increases gradually after age 30, but most women in their early 30s can still have a perfectly healthy baby. There are older women who have had perfectly healthy babies and there are younger women who do not. The "best" time to have children is roughly between your 20s and early 30s, but age is not the only risk factor.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I had my youngest boy at 32. My midwife wanted me to take it a lot easier, because of my age. But my co worker was 42 when she had her youngest the doctor didn't tell her to do anything different. I think it depends on the mom and/ doctor.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 9:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• As you hit the age of 40 your chances for down Syndrome and Autism increase dramatically. I would not recommend a pregnancy after age 42
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Doctors recommend not go go for it after 35, but I had my son at almost 40 without any problems.

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2010