What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

C-Section vs. Vaginal?

And why?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 8:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've had both. First two born naturally, no drugs, lamaze method. No problems. Third was an emergency c section due to rupture in placenta. I had a tough recovery after the c. More painful and never right after that. Had bladder issues and pain after intercourse.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Vaginal. First of all cesareans should never be performed unless they are absolutely medically necessary. It is unethical for doctors to do them for any other reason.

After my work as a doula through the years I have seen the incredible human connection that grows through the labor and birthing experience. It blows my mind when women fear this or choose to not even try it. It's SO rewarding.

Not to mention the risks. Cesareans are major surgery. They take longer to heal from and there is far more of a chance of something "going wrong". Also, the baby being pushed and squeezed through the birth canal is a very important part of the whole process. We are learning now that this residual fluid may lead to sicker kids.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• for me i have only had c-sections for all three of my children. it really depends on your situation. obviously most women would like to deliver naturally, however that is not always an option. if i did not have an emergency c-section at 36 weeks with my first child i would be dead (and i'm sure he would have died too), so i do not even feel any kind of remorse about not having a vaginal delivery.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Vaginal deliveries are typically much easier on both mom and baby (as long as it in an uncomplicated birth), and even with a tear mom will heal much quicker. There is also evidence that c-sections delay the mom's milk coming in, which can make breastfeeding more difficult, as can the delay of the first nursing while the mom is stitched up or waking up from anesthesia. After a vaginal birth most doctors are ok with the mom nursing immediately, even if the placenta hasn't been delivered yet and stitches are needed. With a c-section you have to wait until you get to the recovery area. Of course, you should always talk to your doctor about the safest and most practical option in your individual situation.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had a c-section, but it was because she was breech. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I would still rather a vag birth next time. On the plus side, my tu-tu didn't get streched out (though I hear it goes almost back to normal anyway
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had 3 vaginal deliveries and 2 csections. I much prefer the csection. After the vaginal deliveries I was too worn out and tired from labor to actually be able to spend time and enjoy my baby, the csection isn't strenuous. Yes, it is a longer recovery time but my recovery from my 2nd csection was shorter than my recovery from my 1st vaginal delivery!

Answer by missanc at 9:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have only had vaginal deliveries. I would have to say one positive to a c-section would be your "business" was left in tact after child birth. Granted you're left with a scar. But it would be interesting to be the same down there after 3 children as I was before.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 1:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Vaginal birth has a much quicker recovery time than section. After having 1 section you are often encouraged to birth this way with your subsequent babies unless you have the support to opt for a VBAC. Vaginal birth is likely to take longer than section espcially if the section is elective rather than emergency. Vaginal birth is natural compared to section but in some cases section is needed to ensure the safety and health of mother and baby.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My daughter was also saved via csection so I dont regret it at all either.Some women have no choice but to have a csection after their first.And it was VERY rewarding to see my little baby and hold her after my surgery even though I didnt get to do it naturally.And it will be for other women who cant choose a vaginal birth too.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Vaginal-natural and heal faster
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 2:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010