How do I get my ADHD son to listen better?

Hi! My name is Maia and I have a 9 year old son who was recently diagnosed ADHD and is on the vyvanse medication. Previously he was on adderall and risperdall and neither of those seem to help. Now he's on the vyvanse and that seems to help with his focusing, but as far as his behavior, he seems to think he's my age and can mouth off and do what he wants and we constantly argue and he's very sneaky when it comes to things. Like if I tell him no he can't have this or that, he'll go behind my back and do it anyway and I won't find out later that he did it because I'm partyly deaf and my husband likes to just lounge around and watch tv. Periodically he will come out and check on our son. But it drives me nuts when my son won't listen. Any advice?

crtiggerpooh231

Asked by crtiggerpooh231 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• my 3 year old daughter is like that but she aint adhd
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 10:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that you should probably be talking to your husband about this matter, because it sounds like he needs both of your parenting skills put together. I hate to be tough,but this might be alot of your child's problems. It sounds like he needs strict discipline, but you should have started this alot earlier. I, personally, do not believe in ADHD. I think you should also look at his diet. Maybe he is living in a stressful environment and that might be affecting his behavior as well.
    Anonymous

• I read a great book put out by Boys Town. It is called "Common Sense Parenting".
    cocosmama30

Answer by cocosmama30 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ADHD is a neurobiological disorder that is very real. ADHD sufferers need structure, patience, and more patience. My son was diagnosed at 5, and is now 9. We treat him his ADHD naturally, and have gone to child psychologists to help him understand his condition as well to learn how to control his impulses. It also helped us in learning communication with him. Everything is completely different with communication and structure for these kids. Diet is extremely important as well, there are many foods these kids should not be eating, which only heightens many of the behavior issues. Please contact me, I am happy to share everything I have learned in the last 5 years.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2008