We have just moved to a new country, and my son is being cold shouldered..

We have moved from one english speaking country to another, and at first in the new school although my 9 year old son was very nervous, managed to make some new friends. For the last month or so he has been quite happy, and we even held a halloween party for him and his new friends so we could meet the parents etc. But a week on its like now the novelty has worn off no-one wants to play or include him. At first he thought it was just a bit strange, but now he is utterly miserable and is genuinely perplexed at why they are not interested anymore. He said no-one is bullying him, its just no-one is letting him join in on games or play, so he just walks around by himself at lunch time. He really has no idea why they would do this, and neither do I. Has this happened to your child before, and what do you do? Can anyone shed some light on this please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let him make friends on his own. It sounds to me like you have helped him and now he doesn't know what to do... You can't make friends for him so he's going to have to find his place, and who he has the most in common with. Our son went through being new a couple yrs ago, and I just let him find his place on his own. He now has a group of friends. You also need to realize boys are different, as they get older they don't have sleep overs, etc like girls do... Just a thought...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't have direct experience with children, but I did a year of university in Britain and had a total of zero friends. Back in Canada I was pretty much the most popular girl at my university of 30,000. Certain cultures are "suspicious" of foreigners or newcomers. The best advice I can give you is to find a group of people which share your interests, like a church group, or Sunday school
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Maybe it was really cool for a while there to get to know this kid who was form another country and had a cool accent. Now the novelty has worn off and he is going to have to set out to find his 'real friends' Just a thought...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010