The N word..

Give me your opinions.. is it offensive? Why or why not? I hear people use it on a daily basis in a non-racist way.. I'm a little confused on the subject. Some people say it all racist.. I love everyone, I dont care if they are white, black, purple, or blue!!

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As a biracial person the word has had many negative meaning in the past of Blacks, African American . etc but I do not use it because in plain English it mean ignorant. I am raising a child who holds onto my every word and I am teaching him to use his words to express himself. All cuss words have negative feelings connected to them so I use  nothing that I know might offend anyone. But truth be told there are alot of people who get offended about alot of words that we would normally not look at.

After knowing the things that were associated with this word and how it was use in slavery and how some still use it I believe that is should never be used . But some believe that if they use it enough it will take away from the negative vibe that has been placed on it.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I do not think it is ok.
    It is frustrating to me when Africian American students use the term when speaking to each other, yet when a white boy tries to use it to seem cool, he gets his butt kicked for calling them a name.
    The history of African Americans is a sad one and many people have worked hard for equality. Many have even died. I think it is disrepectful to those who have engaged in that struggle so that others would not have to suffer as they did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I am white and don't use it. I just feel like it is demeaning and disrespectful.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Whitney--I must admit, that I am in the habit of using the term 'black' to describe African Americans, but I have a reason. My roommate in college was black. I say black because that is the term SHE insisted I use. Claire would correct me all the time by saying "I'm not from Africa, I'm from New York".
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That is one word that has ALWAYS gotten under my skin and pissed me off, whether it's used as a racial slur or not. Everyone has their own opinion about it, but I wish I could never hear it again. I think that's the only word that I wish didn't exist, because it typically carried such horrible connotations. My mom says it a lot and that bugs me so bad. I usually say African American or Black (a girl in my psych class went off on our teacher for saying "AA" one day lol, when asked why, she was like, "Because I'm BLACK! THAT'S why!"). We live in an area with very little racial diversity, so that word is typically used negatively. My mom grew up right down the road from one of the few black families in the area (at the time), and that's where she picked it up, so I try to ignore it from her because she rarely says it in a negative way.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm black and I don't feel it's ok for anyone to use it personally. it was degrading in the past and I don't think it should have been turned into a good word for some and still offesive for others. I don't use it and my friends know not to use it around me.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't like it and I don't use it. I was watching a Louis C.K. show on Netflix the other night and he summed up part of the way it is used. Please don't click on if you offend easily. He has a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

Again, if you offend easily, do not click on it.

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I find the word very offensive, so of course I never use it. Most black people I know--friends and family--do not use it either. I have known a few people who used it and seemed to think it was ok for them to use it, but not for white people to use it. I understand that they are attempting to take the word's power away by using it as a term of endearment, but I would rather see this word wiped from everyone's vocabulary. I really hate it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it is offensive when used wrong. I am a white female also but personally I do not believe in using any words that are offensive such as that and when I hear it around me I gets me upset and a little angry and irritated. There are a billion other words in the dictionary, use one of those.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Is NIGGER what you are referring to? I don't understand why so many people choose to say "the N word" instead of just saying nigger, what is the big deal? It is a word in the dictionary, and it means "an ignorant person"!!! And ignorant means "not knowing any better" or at least not knowing better than you were taught. So by that definition, I know a WHOLE LOT of niggers.
    Some African Americans choose (for ignorant reasons) to use it as a term of familiarity or kinship though.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010