IYO is cursing a sin?

If you cuss when you get mad, or only once in a while..
I wont lie, I cuss from time to time, However I don't like it when ppl cuss all the time when they're just talking, I think it's trashy!

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• nope. usually i only use words my grandmother approved of (shit, hell, damn), but on occasion i will drop the f-bomb or say bitch if i'm mad about something. i also don't like it when people make curse words a regular part of their conversation. i think it makes you sound like a dummy and usually that's not the case. but definately not a sin imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• IMO, yes. Not only is it unnecessary, it's crass and crude. And taking the Lord's name in vain is a sin.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 9:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Taking the Lord's name in vain is breaking the 3rd commandment. Also, some words express hatred which is breaking the 6th commandment. I think curse words show lack of control over a person's tongue. The words we speak show the condition of our hearts. I have taken most words out but there are a few that I'm still working on. I also think it's absurd that people actually equate swearing to adult maturity.
    "The devil tempts men through their ambition, their cupidity or their appetite, until he comes to the profane swearer, whom he catches without any bait or reward." ~ Horace Mann
    "Nothing is a greater, or more fearful sacrilege than to prostitute the great name of God to the petulancy of an idle tongue." ~ Jeremy Taylor
    "The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low, that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." ~ George Washingon
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I can't say if it is or not. They are words and the meanings of words change dramatically based on who you are talking, the context, and the time period. But it is something that I choose not to do. For me it is better to err on the side of caution and keep it out of my mouth, rather than risk offending someone and making them think less of me as a Christian.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Nope, but I think it often sounds trashy unladylike. :)

(And I cuss on occasion myself)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When we cuss it shows where the heart is at , at that time.... I rarely cuss anymore since I have been going through an amazing transformation in my walk in Christ... but I do slip on occasion lets say for instant a driver cuts me off.. however I am changing that from instead of cussing I am blessing the driver instead... the frustration lifts a whole lot faster than if I had cussed at him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The Bible does address bad language. Here's a few examples...

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians4:29

Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips. Ecclesiastes 10:12

You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. Matthew 12:24

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Colossians 3:8

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't believe in sin. And I don't believe in "curse words" or "bad words" I just believe in words... Even "clean" words can be used for evil reasons, no word is any worse than any other when used to harm another, and no word is better than another when used for peaceful purposes...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was going to mention Ephesians 4:29, but someone beat me to it.

Obby, I realize that you don't believe in sin, but why would you want to deliberately use the name of the Lord as a curse word, knowing that it offends people? That doesn't sound very kind. Weren't you one of the people who was outraged about the "everyone draw Mohammad day" cartoons because they were insensitive and offensive?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't know if it's necessarily a sin or not but it's extremely disrespectful and in general I've always been told that swearing is unintelligent and shows ones lack of verbal skills in that they cannot adequately express themselves without the use of foul language. I do believe that foul language is frowned upon by God even if it's not in itself sinful and it takes oneself out of a pure state and takes ones mind away from God. It's certainly not a situation where I like to be. I refrain from all foul language in my daily life although on rare occasions I have used it when realizing the mortgage never got sent or when I stub a toe or if I've lost something of value. However I generally ask for God's forgiveness for having used that kind of language almost immediately after. I find it very disrespectful and trashy to be around those who use it as if it is normal language.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 1:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010