Have ppl forgotten how to be professional?! (Vent)

Everywhere we go recently... no one does anything right! No one seems to give a crap about their jobs anymore. Fastfood is the worst about it! Hospitals are bad about it, I just dont understand why people cant be professional and do their job right!

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it all stems from the way so many kids are raised - or the lack of the raising. People are not taught responsibility or to understand responsibility. People don't understand what integrity really is, instead so many people do as little as they can get away with.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Customer service seems to have completely gone to the wayside. It drives me crazy! You feel like you're burdening some when they have to do their jobs. It's not the way it used to be when I was growing up. Ugh! That's how I know I'm getting old - because I just used that phrase!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It is so two sided. They do not want to give a crap about their job and they get pissed at you when you get frustrated because they are not doing their job. Heaven forbid they come to your job and you treat them like they are treating you.
    Foxskat

Answer by Foxskat at 9:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I know in my job, the boss has added to our work load more then we can keep up with. If you are looking for a sunny disposition, maybe not so much in the work place right now. Those of us lucky enough to have jobs are reminded on an hourly basis of that and that we can be replaced in a mega second. From my work situation I take that out and try to have empathy for others in their job, I know it sucks but its really horrible the pressure that most of us employed face these days and yes, it does make us prone to error. I wish the boss's could understand that part. :)
    Anonymous

• I experience this on a regular basis it seems....just at McDonalds a week ago and the girl at the register snatched the "happy meal box" outta my hands when I asked for the apples instead of the fries like I HAD ORDERED. She was not pleased with me for politely asking for what I ordered, and I wasn't pleased with her because of her crappy attitude which I should of took up with her boss. Didnt even get a smile or a sorry out of this girl. =(
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 9:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, honestly, have you seen how rude some people can be on this site??? I think being polite is a lost art all around. I was taught to smile even if it hurts. I was taught that being nice could make you feel better even if you felt down yourself. I was taught that no matter how small you felt the job was, other people depended on you and that was what was important.
    I really seems that teaching manners went by the wayside somewhere. As did teaching that no matter what you do, do it well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I once had a male employee snatch a cover of Victoria Secret out of my hands because he said I had to pay for the copy. I told him i get one free at home since I have a credit card there so he said well you have to pay for this one. I never ever bought anything out of that store again. What a piece of trash.....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If you think people are rude here, go overseas. We were in Ukraine for our children's adoption and all the clerks at the hotel would get mad whenever we entered the stores. I don't know if they hated Americans or what, but it was annoying. Regretfully, I think society is headed in the wrong direction.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I understand people in the work force being overloaded and having it held over their heads, but the guy at the office supply place who is playing his Nintendo DS while standing at a cash register and gives an annoyed sigh when I go to check out is not overloaded with work. I actually had this happen. I am never confrontational or rude to anybody in customer service, my theory has always been to kill them with kindness, and I always try to put myself in others shoes. I can say that I've never gone off on anyone, it's just not my nature. I might go home and vent about it, but I'm just nonconfrontational. This particular store has been just one headache of customer service after another. I was very largely pregnant one time, went in to get paper and had two male employees stand there and watch me put a heavy case of paper under my cart. And no, I didn't ask for help, but I'm afraid if I did I would have gotten another sigh
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's because no one has a work ethic anymore. We live in a self society where everyone is in it for themselves and don't care about anyone else.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010