5 weeks...wait...4 weeks? And a heart beat?!

So after a small scare that involved some pink/brown bleeding for a day, I took two blood tests to see how my hCG levels are rising. I also had a transvaginal ultrasound today. I didn't expect to hear a heartbeat or even see a baby as I figured I was only about 5.5 weeks along, accouding to LMP which was Oct 3rd. Well I saw the baby and I was able to hear the heartbeat. 101 per minute. The nurse says she thinks I'm at 4.5 weeks but it's too early to tell. I'm not an expert but isn't that way too early to see the baby/hear a beat? I'm not familiar with the vaginal ultrasound but from what I've read you can't hear the heart beat until 6-7 weeks, but maybe they just mean a regular ultrasound? Also my cycle has always been irregular ranging for 26 -35 days but recently it's been about 28-29...should I be a little concerned she thinks I'm a week behind? Or is it safe to say the heartbeat has put me in the clear for at least a bit?

Charmasina

Asked by Charmasina at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• with the vaginal you can hear them way sooner, you probably ovulated later than you thought you did being a week behind is normal dont worry :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• the heart starts beating at 5 weeks.
    Foxskat

Answer by Foxskat at 9:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i heard mine at 4 and a half weeks.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 9:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They probably have brand spankin' new u/s equipment. Most dr offices lease it, so every 5-10 years they get new equipment. My dr's equipment was cutting edge stuff 5 years ago and the earliest they could hear it was 7wks or so but they could see it at 5.5 wks.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I had the vaginal ultrasound at barely 6 weeks and had a heartbeat. Made me tear up and really hit home that there was a baby there :)
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010