Twilight Series- Does this teach our daughters to seek out the wrong guys?

So I've enjoyed the movies. They're a bit cheesy, but fun to watch. But I couldn't help but think ahead when my daughter is older. Would this be good for her? Does it teach girls to seek out the "bad boy"? When a guy says "I'm bad for you. I'll only bring you trouble." Should you keep chasing after him? or is this simply a form of entertainment having no influence on a child? Opinions?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 9:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think as long as you talk with your DD and are open and honest with her she would know the difference. You would hope that by the time she is old enough to have a boy friend she has learned what to look for and will also know that these books are just for fun.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I believe everything our children watch, read, listen to has some sort of impact on them. I love the series myself, but I dont know what age would be truely appropriate.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 9:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• no it teaches them to be weak and depend on guys to fight their battles :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's up to us parents to discuss this kind of thing with them. I mean, if my daughter wants to date a vampire, that's okay, but he'd better be stable is all I'm sayin'... I also don't wanna p*ssy foot around my own house. If he can't handle a bleeding hangnail in the vicinity without going whap-a-kooky then he needs to go.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 10:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was a full fledged Twilight Mom. My daughter and I read all the books - I let her go to a midnight launch of the last book with a group of Twilight fanatic friends, and join a Twilight book club at her school.

As long as you view these things as "teachable moments" there is never a problem. It is fiction, even though I know most of my daughter's friends had a crush on Edward and/or Jacob. We talked about what was good in both male characters, and what was bad about them. We laughed at how cheesy the movies turned out (especially the first one :-p)

I love it when my kids get lost in books. Even when she was most enamored with these characters (as she once was with Harry Potter) she can pretty easily keep one foot in the real world.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't think it teaches them anything. None of the books I read growing up, or the movies I watched, influenced any part of my life because I knew that it wasn't real.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• hell, I went through a bad boy phase long before Twilight came along. The books wont influence your daughter's decisions, the examples you give her will. So don't hook up with any vampires lol
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 10:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• no, it teaches them to consume bad literature . . . and I use the term loosely.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think that our daughters are going to make their choices based on how we have raised them.
    cesarpup

Answer by cesarpup at 10:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I hope that girls can tell the difference between FICTION, movies.Books, and real males. I wouldn't worry about it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010