Re: How do I get my 9yr old son who has ADHD to listen

As far as strict disipline, I'm usually the one who' strict and I don't let him get away with alot of things. Iv'e heard about diets and I don't let him drink or eat alot of things that have sugar. I raise my son like my parents raised me. If things aren't done or if he doesn't listen, he gets things taken away and grounded and sometimes if I have to he'll get spanked even though I don't like to spank, but I don't let him get away with anything....but he is very arguementive and I hate it.

crtiggerpooh231

Asked by crtiggerpooh231 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Consistency and structure are very important. As well as a lot of positive praise and why it's good that he is doing something. (Like "Johnny, You really show me that you can be responsible when you pick up your toys that way they don't get broken or lost). Reward chart works with some children too. There are all kinds of ways to do that from stickers to play money that they can earn special time with you after so many. It doesn't have to cost money: play a game of choice with mommy, special dinner, bike ride with daddy, etc. When he argues you can say something like "you are arguing" but don't buy into the argument. Don't respond to his argument just restate your decision.
    cocosmama30

Answer by cocosmama30 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• ADHD boys are completely opposite of everything - my son is 9, diagnosed with ADHD at 5. Patience is everything, they do not respond to discipline like normal children. With ADHD sufferers, a simple touch is a thousand words. Everything is a challenge - and NEVER say What is Wrong With You or Why Did You Do That - these guys have no clue that what they are doing is not normal - their brains are wired completely different - contact me I can share all I have learned through my son - we treat our son naturally as well, so i have done a ton of research and counseling - i may be able to give some helpful tips

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008