To my fellow Christians .... (S/O from ACLU/Don't Ask, Don't Tell Post)

This has really been bugging me. Most of you who spend any amount of time on here know just how conservative I am and also know that I consider homosexuality to be sin. But it drives me absolutely nuts when I see fellow Christians belittling, berating, and treating homosexuals as second class citizens. Why do you do this? Was it not a prostitute that Jesus defended against the hypocritical judgments of the pharisees? How do you expect to share the Gospel with a people you that you treat like scum? Do you treat other sinners like this, or just homosexuals?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• really? i'm not sure there are many here on CM that actually do what you describe. maybe one now and then, and half the time, they've signed 'anon'. i really don't see that much..openly.
    i see a lot of people belittling and berating xtians who they claim do this, and i'm sure there are xtians (and others) who are guilty. but honestly, its not out there (on CM, that is) as much as you may think it is. the wolves would eat them alive!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• In a broad sense, there are definitely 2 kinds of Christians on CM. Those who use the religion sections and actually discuss religion, and those who never venture out of the Politics section. FWIW, the ones who only stay in Politics are the most hateful, bigoted, and unchristlike Christians you'll find anywhere on CM (not counting a few thankfully long lost notorious trolls). They're the ones who freely bash gays and Muslims (and anyone else non-Christian), and always use their faith to justify it. They are also the ones most likely to take it upon themselves to speak for "all" Christians. It's something to keep in mind when questions spin off from P&CE into this section. I've done it before just to get a better gauge, and never once have I linked to one of the hatefests in P&CE from here and seen a Religion section regular agree with them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Good question. It boggles the mind. \
    How can so many people be discriminated against and suffer such punishment ...and their lives are not their choice. They are born Gay....It is not their "fault" and they should not be blamed. Only a few decades ago, blacks were being treated this way. Now Gays are the new victims.
    Lately--- the issue about the discharged military members receiving only half the pay that straight members received shows how much prejudice there is. and any Christians saying they don't care.....that is unforgiveable.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• "Was it not a prostitute that Jesus defended against the hypocritical judgments of the pharisees?"

EXCELLENT POINT! Way to prove that most Christians don't HATE gays like some think. BUMP!

It is down right WRONG to treat any human as if they are LESS human. We're all equal humans regardless what our sexual orientations are.

Those post(s) really sickened me.....glad you did a repost!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Actually, I see a LOT of people belittling a LOT of other people for some of the littlest things. Christian or otherwise, I think it's really sad. Debates and discussions are one thing, judgements and maliciousness another.

"Hey! Check out this ice cream drip catcher I bought today for $1!"
    "You're an idiot. What a waste of money. Ever heard of a napkin?!"
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 10:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They are the same as the Pharises whom Jesus called out on many occasions. Jesus loves everyone and we are called to see everyone the way God sees them. We are ALL loved by God no matter who we are, what we've done, etc. Even if you feel it's a sin, that doesn't give you permission to be hateful. Being hateful is a sin in itself. As a Chrisitian I remind myself of John 8:7 and also Luke 6:41-42. I also remember that I was a sinner and God still loved me and sent His son to die for me. I try to be loving, kind, and non-judgemental to everyone, even when my opinion differs. Sadly, as evidenced by replies to many answers on CM, it's almost like many people are opposed to or unwilling to love one another.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with you 100%.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thankfully I do not know any fellow Christians who treat homosexuals this way. It's a shame that you do. :(
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 10:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• and, for the record, i didn't read the post you S/O of.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Heh. Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your post and change the subject there. Carry on... :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 10:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010