Does your child have ADHD or ADD?

If your child has been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD what have you done that helps?

Medication, change in diet, change in activities?...etc...etc...

gogogirl79

Asked by gogogirl79 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• my son is six and his neuroligist told me he has ADD. Said eventually he will probably have to be on meds but I don't want him to be. He is not a healthy eater...very picky...so he wouldn't do a diet. So, we will see.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My 18 yo twin boys were diagnosed with Acute Genetic ADHD when they were 6 yo. They have been on various medications, changing as they outgrow one and require a new one. They are currently on Vyvanse and it is a wonder med, tell ya what! Even they will tell you that it is the best thing that happened to them to help with the ADHD. So many people try to tell you to change the child's diet. But, by the time you keep experimenting and changing, they are in way too deep in school etc. I wasn't willing to wait and watch them fail in school while figuring out which combinations of food worked or didn't work. There is nothing wrong with taking a medication for a condition.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My DS, 11, is ADHD and is on vyvance. Since he got on his meds he has done great! The other day he told me," Mom, when I forget to take my meds my brain is fuzzy and I can't think right." He also told me,"I use to know that my behavior was wrong, but my brain didn't know how to make it stop." He was always a smart kid, but now we're really getting to find out just how smart, because he can now get the thoughts out and he can sit and concentrate. He just tested at a 12th grade reading level. We are so proud and know that we have made the right decision for our child by medicating him.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010