What do you think about breastfeeding in public?

Do you do it, and what do you think about others who do it in Public.... I do because I have to feed him when he is hungry, and I don't have enough pumped to carry bags of milk around with me.... of course I hide under a shawl...

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 11:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never breastfed but I dont see why doing it in public would be a problem. Its a natural thing. You are feeding your baby and I feel like everyone should see it as just that. But you know there are ignorant people out there who would make a big deal about it but who cares.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 11:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i do it...like you said you have to feed em when they are hungry. if anyone gives you trouble (i believe) you can just call the police...i guess like they are harrassing you? im not sure...dont hold me to that as im sure its different for every city.
    i love nursing! and i am so glad that i have had such a wonderful experience. my DD is about 7and a half months now. she was EFB until she was a little over 6mos and needless to say, i was a little sad when she started on solids. BUT she is enjoying them, so i am too. plus, now i can sleep in a little on the weekends and daddy can have a little bit more bonding time with her and feed her breakfast ;-)
    4grace10

Answer by 4grace10 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My oldest DD is 33 yo. I breastfed in public even back then. It really wasn't an issue then. I don't know WHY it's become such an issues these days. It's natural for pete's sake!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it's normal and natural and have no problem with it. I used to nurse in public when my kids were nursing, and I don't look twice at nursing moms if I see them in public. Babies need to eat, it's protected by law, and it's normal/healthy/natural... no issues here!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I do it, and do it proudly! I wish more people did it, I don't see it nearly enough! And no, I don't believe in putting a cover over my child when they are eating, I don't want to eat under a blanket, they shouldn't have to either... I have never understood the idea of Breast feeding being taboo in the first place... But I'm not the type to see nudity as a bad thing either... A body is just a body, unless it's being used for sex, I don't see how it's sexual.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I BFed both of my kids. I got some weird looks, even though I used a cover, but they didn't bother me. I'd just look in their eyes and smile while I said "Can I help you?". I live in AZ and it can get HOT here, so there were a few times that I didn't cover up because I wouldn't eat in a sauna, and I wouldn't ask my child to either.
    Breastfeeding is beautiful! And whether you're covered or "au naturale", if a person sees you and doesn't like it...they can avert their eyes!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• seeing a woman breastfeed her child no matter where it is.....it makes me smile.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I breastfeed in public. But now baby is getting on the older side for Americans. I don't offer, I just nurse when she asks. But she's gotten my drift of "no thank you" during the day. so it's once first thing in morning, and once before bed.

I am curious of the opinions around here of my 18mo old walking up and nursing in public. Maybe I'll try for mere giggles;)

I have to say, the mommies who whip their boob out, then get baby, then fuss with baby, finally put baby on..... Oh geez, please put it away. I start giggling. I know.....so immature. It's just awkward. No more I'm sure than my 18 mo old;) haha
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 11:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Boobs were made for babys. Immature people and people without kids dont understand it. You dont have to be for brestfeeding- you just have to have common sense to keep your mouth shut & repsect the people who do.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i think it's a normal part of mothering but covering up is appropriate in the old USA.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010