Home Training - What SHOULD every kid learn at home?

It bugs me when I see kids acting rude or spoiled, or even worse, when I see it in adults. Like store clerks that brush by me (the customer) so abruptly that I have to move out of their way...no "excuse me", no nothing. Or kids openly and loudly burping in public...then just laughing, like they've accomplished something.

If it were up to you, what things would EVERY kid be taught at home about public behavior?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 11:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just general manners. How to give others the basic respect. Like saying "Excuse me", "Thank You", "Please", "You're Welcome", etc. Opening doors for others, holding doors open for others, helping someone if they've dropped something, helping an elderly or otherwise inabled person with something.. Just general respect. Not releasing bodily functions like burping or gas in public.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Problem is, not everyone agrees with what is rude and what isn't. Some people don't think burping is rude, so they don't teach their own children to say excuse me. That is something my son learned very early, about 2 1/2 as well as please, thank you and your welcome. Now, on the spoiled front....I have failed! My son will cry in stores if he doesn't get what he wants and I have no idea how to control it. He wasn't raised to get everything he wants and he never got things when going to the store. But it never fails, he wants something everytime we go and he cries and cries!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Umm Manners would be nice but there's a lot of adults who don't have them so guess we can't expect all the kids to have them.

ILovecade - have you tried leaving him home (if that's a possibility for you) when you go shopping? When he asks why he can't go too, you could tell him that it seems to make him unhappy as he cries every time and you don't want him to be unhappy so you're leaving him home.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• What's rude to you might not be rude to someone else. I've tried to teach general manners & respect to my daughter but it might be awhile before I know if it is working. My thing is parents that take their kids to the store & they know that their kids are tired & the kid throws a fit. When it's nap time we are at home.
    OliviaW.

Answer by OliviaW. at 9:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Basic manner to say excuse me when you burp or pass gas. We walking by someone or accidently hits them say sorry. Keep you comments low and not "oh mommy he has hair in his ears/ oh he really big. I need people to teach their kids that running around like they are at a playground is not right in public. That washing hands after sneezing, blowing nose, and using bathroom is proper.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Depends what parents think are rude. We teacher manners, respect, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010