I'm considering Mirena (b.c.)... if you have it or have had it, how much does it hurt?

I've heard that the insertion is extremely painful. Was that true for you?
And did you like Mirena?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 11:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Health

• insertion is very uncomfortable- they have to pull the cervix forward to place the iud behind it. it is over in about 3-5 minutes and can cause painful cramping for a day or two. I have had two. the first was excellent (although I did get pregnant with our daughter the day after it was taken out). I had one put in after dd was born and had a lot of pain. I could barely have sex. I went in after about a month to discover that it wasn't inserted properly- it was like i wasn't on any sort of bc.... luckily i wasn't pregnant:).
    I am now on the pill. I take it at night before bed (I couldn't remember to take it in the mornings).

I do not recommend the IUD based on my second experience, but my first one worked wonderful and was an easy solution to not have to remember a daily form of bc. again, it is uncomfortable having it put in, but it is over pretty quick. hope this helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Insertion and removal were the easiest parts of having it for me. I could rant for hours about the hell I went through while I had that thing for 8 months. My advice to pretty much everyone is DO NOT get it. If you want an IUD, try the Paragard instead. But, if you don't intend to breastfeed and you want to see how your body does with the Mirena, then go for it and if you have problems, have it removed ASAP, do not wait until things get unbearable, go IMMEDIATELY and have it removed. I had tons of issues with it, and countless other women have, but you rarely hear about that. If you want more info on the negative things that can happen with it, send me a message and I'll send you a few links so that you have both sides of the story before you get it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Ive heard from other women how painful it is, and the weird side effects... I know it could be different for my body, but I think I may just go back to the Pill.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Insertion is not a big deal..it's awkward, but not the worst thing ever. However, there is a hormone-free IUD that lasts 10 years called Paragard that I strongly recommend. The Mirena is awful for many people..here is another question where I posted my experiences with the Mirena..I can't copy and paste because I'm on my cell. Good luck!

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/639240/Any_one_else_have_issues_with_mirena
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i have really painful bad periods and when i had it (2 years) I had release. i dont mean to get nasty but they changed alot and I could tolerate them. I also had them regularly and 3 days not a week, something that didnt happen normally. I didnt feel it and even though he might say he feels the string, he wont. It didnt hurt getting it taken out and within 8 months (not trying) i was pregnant again.

I didnt have mood swings but the WORST and only horrible thing I gained weight .. over 50 lbs in a year. yes i know, to me it was horrible because I went from a size 10 to 16....... NOT saying anything about BBW but I dont wanna be one.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 1:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have had the mirena for about five months now... and I am pleased with it... I haven't had any kind of weird side effects, minus the fact I don't have a period anymore... which is fine with me... but as for the insertion, it was uncomfortable, but if you have had any kind of labor pains, it was nothing compared to those. My doctor was really good, and I think that depends a lot on your experience in getting it. It pinched, but that was it... I like it. I don't know how it will do for you, but like I said, I have had a good experience with it.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010