Did anyone not find out they were having twins till the 20 week ultrasound?

I've had two quick scans in my OB's office which she conducted on her hand-me-down machine. I SWEAR the one last week had two babies but maybe I was imagining things. Did anyone not find out till the big ultrasound?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Over 13 years ago it took a few U/S to tell us we were having identicals. Maybe to the 12th week??
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i fond out at 14 weeks. i went in for my 1st appt and my uterus was measuring bigger..like 3 weeks bigger. so they ordered an U/S. and it was clear 2 heartbeats there! i can remember it so vividly:) are you measuringbigger than you're supposed to? that is really a key sign.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 11:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, it's complicated. I had weight loss surgery in January so I'm actually losing weight still and there's so much flab around my abdomen, from the lost weight, that my OB has actually never measured me at all.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I didn't find out until the big ultrasound at 20 weeks!!
    goldfish09

Answer by goldfish09 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i don't normally do ultrasounds. we were "diagnosed" wit twins at about 5-6 months. all we saw on the screen was two big heads!!! i just had a stomach bug and went to the hospital b/c i was afraid it was premature labor. 2 weeks befor that, we heard 2 heartbeats with the midwife. 4 weeks before tat, i had an excess of amniotic fluid and acceleratrd uterus growth.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Twin pregnancy less than 1 year of having bypass? Are you seeing a neonatologist?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Your OB would have noticed if there were two babies, you know? I don't know anyone whose had multiples that didn't find out fairly early, but I don't know if your surgery/weight loss would make it more difficult to determine?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We didn't find out we were having triplets until we were at 20 weeks. So it is possible. Good luck and best wishes. Just remember do everything they tell you to if you are having twins. We lost our triplets at 25 weeks.
    armymom69

Answer by armymom69 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Armymom69, I'm so sorry to hear that. :-(

Mom2priceboys, I didn't have bypass, I had another procedure that simply removed 85% of my stomach and stapled it closed. I don't have any issues with malabsorption or anything. My OB has run blood tests to make sure the baby and I are getting enough of everything and we are. :) I have not been diagnosed as high risk and the baby is measuring right on track so no need for a neonatalogist.

I guess my gut feeling is just...off. ;-) We have our big ultrasound on Monday and I'm measuring right on track so I've given up on the twins idea. Thanks for the replies!
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2010