I wasnursing my new born when I had to subsitute feed because a jondece I was pumping but it seems that I am not making any milk I was pumping 4-6 oz at first will my milk come back or will I will loose my milk I keep pumping and I only get an oz or so

cmh77

Asked by cmh77 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would put the baby to the breast as often as possible in addition to pumping. Your baby is better at getting milk from the breast than a pump. Also, the psychological "letdown" process sometimes stops occurring for a pump and only for the baby. (that's what happened with me) My breasts stopped letting down for the pump and would only let down for the baby...which just meant that I had to always feed her instead of pumping and feeding. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Pumping is not an indicator of supply. Many women do not respond well to pumping. Get rid of the pump, get rid of the formula and nurse, nurse, nurse that baby. My baby had jaundice as well, and the pediatrician wanted me to supplement. I gave her 2 bottles and said screw it. I just nursed her like crazy, and she got over the jaundice in no time.

You may to do some things to help keep your baby awake while nursing such as undressing her, changing position, etc. If you want to be successful, now is the time to nurse constantly and you and your supply will be fine. :) good luck!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It'll some like a river. Your breast make milk according to it's need. If you keep pumping it's think the baby needs more milk so it'll produce more to feed the baby. Since you stopped it thought the baby didnt need as much so it didn't produce as much. I'll come keep pumping.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When you baby goes back to nursing exclusively, it should come back. Keep trying to pump. I would pump one side while the baby is on the other. Don't give up! When I went back to work when my daughter was about 4 months, I wasn't able to pump hardly anything through the day, but we made it.
    amberntony

Answer by amberntony at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with putting the baby to the breast. The milk ducts react to that a lot better then the artificial sucking of a pump. Also, if you pump more frequently (as you can) then the baby eats it will create milk production.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When I had my son I had to see a lactation specialist. They recomended that I take Fenugreekb to increase the milk production. And I think that there is mother's milk tea. Hoe this helps.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 11:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• one huge mistake and it wasnt even your fault. you didnt have to supplement becaused of jaudice. am sure the doc told you but that is wrong information. as to your pumping dont worry, at first our bodies make alot of milk and then they adjust. normal pumping output is 2 oz between both breast, if you dont need to pump dont, just nurse on demand and as long as the bbay is having 6-8 diapers a day supply is good.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I AGREE IM HAVIN SOME ISSUES WITH THE DREADED PUMP TOO BUT WHEN I NURSE HER I GET TONS OF MILK AND SHES SATISFIED
    columbria

Answer by columbria at 11:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You need to have a nursing intensive!! Spend the next couple of days in bed with baby, skin to skin, and allow baby to nurse whenever he/she wants.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It's actually better to nurse when the baby is jaundiced, it will clear up faster that way. Talk to the pediatrician again and get some more info, make sure that there isn't another reason they want you to supplement first, but I would suggest going back to nursing. Your supply will come back as the baby demands more, and as was mentioned above, the baby will egt much more from nursing than your pump will.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2010