Does anyone have a older child that is afraid of the dark?

My daughter is 11 years old and still afraid of the dark. She will not go to sleep without a light on, and wakes up if we shut it off. Is there anything strange about that? We do know it is because our son told he Freddy Crugger was under her bed when she was little. When she was only about 3 or 4 she would get up and go get in his bed and want to sleep with him and he didn't like it so he told her that so she wouldn't get out of bed. It took me about a year to get her to where she would get up to go to the bathroom. Will she grow out of this?

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i was afraid of the dark until i was like 14, and im still afraid of pitch black if its too dark i freak out.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son is 11 and is still afraid of the dark and being on one floor of the house alone. If someone is not upstairs he will not go up there to take a shower or anything. I am not sure how normal it is, but I don't push him to do something that he is so obviously afraid to do. Most fears do not make sense to those who do not share them. We leave a light on and make sure someone is upstairs so he will take a shower.
    takeadeepbreath

Answer by takeadeepbreath at 11:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't like it I guess bc you can not see a thing but my 9 yr. old is afraid but I think yes eventually they will grow out of it but in their time I did but like I said don't care too much for the pitch black darkness.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• A night like should help. I am 24 and I still need a night light, some people just want to be able to see their surroundings. When it is pitch black i feel like i see shadows or something lol I just need a little light to make me feel secure.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 11:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I am 22 and I am still afraid of the dark. When my brother and I were younger we used to share a room and I would always ask him to get up and turn on the light. Im sure he got sick of getting out of the bed all night long but he never complained. Anyways, some people are scared of he unknown/unseen or some ppl see things, real or not in the dark. For me its a combination of both. I also hate to be in a house alone esp big houses, theres always a floor creeking or some strange noise... just creepy. I dont think its a big deal though I dont mind leaving on the bathroom or hallway light.
    EmpathyEve

Answer by EmpathyEve at 12:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm 25 and still afraid of the dark, well more of whats in the dark. Most people arent afraid of the dark but more what might be hiding in it. My fear came from a little brother who thought it was funny to hide in the dark and jump out at me. To this day I still wait for something to jump out at me.
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry but I'm 25 and still very much so afraid of the dark. I make my husband leave the tv on at night. If there is a power outage, I make myself sick, if I'm home alone. I've been like that since I was a kid and it's never changed. Hopefully it's just a phase though. Good luck!!
    Momma72923

Answer by Momma72923 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i have 2 h
    the same way,ever since my grson let them watch that movie about "chuckie". they are a little better but just let one see a movie a little scary,here they come. my grson will make a pallet by my bed,lol. but it does get old. misslj....... maybe one day
    misslj

Answer by misslj at 10:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I do not think you have to worry ..its normal.
    VienaMira

Answer by VienaMira at 2:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm 31 and still afraid of the dark. I leave the kitchen lights on, and sometimes my bathroom light. And I usually have one of my pets in my room with me. I freaked myself out about a month ago...I heard a child's laughter in my room on 2 separate occasions, both at 3am and in the left corner of my room. When I asked "it" to leave my house, there were 2 loud thumps in my closet. It may have been lucid dreaming, and creaking water pipes at just the right moment (although they've never creaked before), but I'm too freaked out to sleep in my room in the dark, lol.

kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 3:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2010