HEY HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE PRODUCING ENOUGH BREASTMILK

WHEN I NURSE HER SHE SEEMS SATISFIED BUT WHEN I TRY AND PUMP I GET BASICALLY NOTHING WELL ABOUT AN OUCE FROM BOTH BREAST SHE IS A LITTLE PREMATURE BORN AT 32 WEEKS BUT SOMETIMES WHEN SHE TAKES A BOTTLE SHE TAKE ABOUT 40 CC AND I JUST HOPE IM GIVIN HERENOUGH HELP LADIES PLEASE.

columbria

Asked by columbria at 11:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she seems full and satisfied, then she is. Breastfed babies eat less than formula fed babies. She will let you know how much food she needs better than anyone else can.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• diapers 6-8 a day, pumping is not and indicator of supply
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• do you have to give her bottles?
    i had a 32 weeker!
    i was never successful with a pump, so i only fed from the breast.
    i think by counting the wet diapers you can tell if she has had enough.
    most babies will cry when they are hungry.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• THANKS THAT HAS HELPED ME A LOT SHE PEES GREAT AT LEAST TEN A DAY AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE PUMP DID GIVE WAY TO HOW MUCH MILK YOU PRODUCE BUT THANKS NOW I CAN BREATHE A SIGH OF RELIEF. THEY ONLY ASKE TO GIVE HER A FEW EXTRA CALORIES SO SHE COULD GAIN WEIGHT BUT SHE HAS GAINED IT AND IM HAPPY I JUST THOUGHT MAYBE SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH ME, AFTER I NURSE HER SHE GOES DRUNK LOL SO SHE IS FULL THANKS.
    columbria

Comment by columbria (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Sometimes your breasts do not let down for a pump, so you can't accurately judge from the amount you get from a pump. Don't worry, as long as she seems satisfied after feedings and is having plenty of wet diapers and is growing just fine, she is getting enough. Good luck. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The best thing I learned about nursing was just to trust it. If she seemed full I came to trust that she was, and if she seemed hungry even though I knew she was early for a typical feeding I learned to trust that and nurse her (instead of trying five other things first because I just didn't think she could be fussing from hunger). Pumping for me also got easier the longer I did it so don't give up. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It seems you have your answer, but I'll echo it- if exclusively nursing, changing at least 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs, and baby is gaining weight/meeting milestones, your supply is fine. A pump can tell you ONE thing: how much you are able to pump. Never accurate at measuring supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It was the same thing for me when I tried to pump. I always thought you could pump and nurse, but that's really impossible unless you are doing both all the time or you just pump every once in awhile. But when I did try to pump I got very little. When I nurse, I know she gets a LOT of supply (and this is gross and T.M.I.) because when she threw up it was a ton! Sorry, but it's true. Also, if she acts satisfied and "releases" on her own without fussing you know that she has decided she's full and stopped on her own. You can also tell by how frequently she needs to be fed so if she's feeding at regular time intervals then you are okay and she's getting plenty.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 13, 2010